Hi all,

Standing in a thrift shop staring at a pile of white hotel/commercial tableware and thinking of Duchamp.

Makers marks showed predominantly porcelain from England, Australia, Japan, German, India, some European, a squillion Chinese.....and some completely unbranded ones amoung the makes.   Some 'new' bonechina (Chinese or Thai I would think) and a smattering of earthenware.

Usually in industry bonechina is high bisque/ low glaze fired, porcelain high fired and earthenware low fired....but are they???

Bought 6 dinnerplates reglazed 2 in a commercial e/w glaze as the first test pieces, fired to ^03, opened the kiln this morning........and found they were truly ghastly!!

Has anyone tried this 'ready mades' approach before and could give me their expert success tips before I deface the other 4 'victims'? 

ta,

Irene

I tried something like that 30 years ago,  I glaze a floral pattern on china saucers with a low fire glaze.  They came out looking good or so I thought, I was working in my studio and I started hearing loud pings.  It had been about 6 months since I reglazed the saucers and the noise was coming from them.  I checked them out and found almost all of the new glaze had popped off with great force and flew across the room.  I have sucessfully glazed patterns on floor tile and had no problems years later.  Denice

You know you can buy bisque fired porcelain tableware (no glaze) and then glaze or paint it yourself.

Yes, played with those once too.

Experiment was more about the possibility of finding use again for so much industrial waste.   Would have though it was tried before me???.....have not yet found references in the 'Search', still looking.

Decals, overglaze, lustre.....3rd firing options I guess, but had wanted to change the basic white surface first.

ta!

Irene

Archived