As A Collector Of Pottery, Would You Prefer To Have A Set Of A Potter’S Work, Ie. Dinner Set Or Many Pots By Different Potters? | November 12, 2013

I like individual pieces from potters. I like to trade. I also will buy pieces if I love them. Most are not functional. I just admire them. I have some pots I do use. I have a Susan Findley bowl, Matt Long shino shot glass, Josh deWeese mug, David Hendley mug, Sue Terrel Chicken platter, Max Butler Shrimp bowl, etc. I find most mugs do not feel comfortable in my hand. I have small hands. David's and Josh's work, but I still like mine better for my morning coffee.I made my own dinner set so I am happy there. My collection of pots to look at: Kurt Weiser, Rosalie Wynkoop, Antonella Cimatti, Russel Fouts, Charlie and Linda Riggs, Josh deWeese, Jason Walker, Dennis Parks, Alice Federico, a Rookwood tile, Richard Notkin tile,and many from the Bray Christmas sales.I also have majolica from all over the Mediterranean, and 87 Spanish pots from potters I visited when I lived in Spain. The personal connection is important to me.

Marcia

We are extremely fortunate in North Carolina to have a first class potters conference with presenters from all over the world. Over the last 20 years I have been fortunate to have been able to obtain works from these potters ... as well as meet them and talk about their work.

NCECA conferences have afforded opportunities to buy work from amazing potters both famous, pre famous and not famous but supremely talented. I am constantly amazed at the depth of 'unknown' pottery talent there is.

So my pottery collection spans all the categories ... some get used all the time and some do not ... but their use is not determined by price or preciousness ... Just on whether I need that vessel right now. There is nothing lovelier than serving meals and drinks to friends on work made by my fellow potters and being able to share their stories when asked.

Guest JBaymore

There is nothing lovelier than serving meals and drinks to friends on work made by my fellow potters and being able to share their stories when asked.

Agree completely.

In Japan I am frequently served food and drink in/on work by top level ceramic artists including Living National Treasures.  Yes, it is "the good china" ....but they USE that stuff if they have it. 

When you experience pots made by people who "know what they are doing" in serving good food or drink....... it elevates the expreience of both the food AND the pieces of serving ware.

best,

................john

• 2 weeks later...

Archived