#41 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Maybe there could be an option for the user to choose allowing or not allowing comments for pictures posted in the gallery.  For those who want to post pictures but are not interested in comments/feedback (or at that point in their pottery where they want such feedback), comments would not be allowed/accepted.  For those brave souls who are willing to subject themselves to comments -- objective or subjective, opinions, and the like, you could allow such comments to be posted. 

Another approach is to let the user receive the comments first, then let the user decide whether or not to allow them to become public -- sort of giving the user the rights afforded the moderator for their gallery pictures. 

Full disclosure: I removed my gallery pictures a few months ago; images of my work are on my website for folks to look at if they chose. 

#42 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

Maybe there could be an option for the user to choose allowing or not allowing comments for pictures posted in the gallery.  For those who want to post pictures but are not interested in comments/feedback (or at that point in their pottery where they want such feedback), comments would not be allowed/accepted.  For those brave souls who are willing to subject themselves to comments -- objective or subjective, opinions, and the like, you could allow such comments to be posted. 

Another approach is to let the user receive the comments first, then let the user decide whether or not to allow them to become public -- sort of giving the user the rights afforded the moderator for their gallery pictures. 

Full disclosure: I removed my gallery pictures a few months ago; images of my work are on my website for folks to look at if they chose. 

That seems like a good compromise. 

But honestly, I don't see any reason for a moderator to approve comments on someone's gallery.  This may indeed be an internet site/ forum, but it is a far better place than the majority of them.

At the very best, we have people learning from others and a nice free exchance of information.  At the very worst, we have a little bickering and clash of egos, which isn't nearly as delicious as a clash of Eggos. 

We don't have posters insulting each other's views, or just ranting on about nonsense. 

I don't feel that we, as adults, need someone, to shield us from a hypothetical negative comment. 

So, like I said, I like bciskepottery's idea.  A person can choose to allow comments, or not.  If a person allows it, then they should be able to see all the comments, and decide which ones to post.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#43 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm confused a bit ...
Has it happened that people just browsing through gallery images decided to say something was awful? Or had the person asked for a critique and then not liked the reply? I did not realize that gallery comments were a problem. I understand the software being mixed up but is there some other issue?

Also, as an aside ... I cannot imagine that anyone at CAD has time to stop, read and approve all comments. They are a busy group.
Second ... If this critique forum should suddenly appear it would need a very brave volunteer moderator.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#44 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 845 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

These features already exist ... well that is, as soon as the admins can figure out the "moderator needed" block ....

go to Edit My Profile, within the Profile Settings area, there is a subhead called Comments & Visitors, where these things can be turned on or off.
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#45 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

These features already exist ... well that is, as soon as the admins can figure out the "moderator needed" block ....

go to Edit My Profile, within the Profile Settings area, there is a subhead called Comments & Visitors, where these things can be turned on or off.

It looks like you can turn on/off/pre-approve comments for profile page, but not for gallery. 

#46 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 845 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

It looks like you can turn on/off/pre-approve comments for profile page, but not for gallery.

You might be right, I'm honestly not sure. I think one's gallery is part of one's profile, therefore these comment settings would apply. But we can find out for sure once the comments are working again.
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#47 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

This forum is the face of a large non-profit organization..........

Surely you jest!!!

Ps still not working.....
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#48 Sherman

Sherman

Admin

• Administrators
  • 110 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Update. We have a help ticket in with the forum software company to address this, since we've "allowed" comments on images and bypassed moderation everywhere we can find in the admin tools.

Also, we have located the place where admins can approve the comments that have been held up to this point, and are in the process of approving all of them, so those should go live soon.

Its not ideal, but will at least get the comments posted, and the forum software folks might learn something.

Sherman

Sherman Hall
Editor, Ceramics Monthly
Co-host, Ceramic Arts Daily
http://www.ceramicsmonthly.org

#49 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

IT WORKS!!!
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#50 Sherman

Sherman

Admin

• Administrators
  • 110 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

Looks like we're now all set. Thanks to everyone for patience and for assistance during testing.

Comment away!

Sherman

Sherman Hall
Editor, Ceramics Monthly
Co-host, Ceramic Arts Daily
http://www.ceramicsmonthly.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users