Guest JBaymore

These kinds of scams are showing up for artists that have an online presence all the time and from multiple sources.  I've been getting them for YEARS.  And the frequency is now increasing absolutely exponentially.....which says that likely these dirtbags are maybe finding some "takers".  I typically get at LEAST one per day....sometimes multiple.

They used to target other kinds of businesses... but apparently they have "found" artists.

Personally, I'm still wating for that deposit from the Nigerian Minister of the Treasury to get into my account.  ;)

best,

........john

Yes, I get these all the time ... the silliest ones are those that claim to come from countries whose native crafts sell for pennies ... really, you want me to ship you expensive North American pottery?? <_<

The Nigerians have given up on me but the people trying to hack into my Yahoo & AT&T email accounts have not.

Guest JBaymore

I recently had one form some "Japanese" person with a gallery in "Japan".  THAT says that they are possibly spending time "targeting" more than we might think, given my background. 

There were some inconsistencies in the address and such that I could readily see. 

So for some fun I replied back all in Japanese language and told them I was VERY interested in this and for  sure... I'd be GLAD to do this.  Please... sign me up.  Which should have had them salivating in anticipation of a nice score.

Of course... they couldn't READ this reply.  So as expected ............... no response.

best,

.......................john

One of the 'tells' with these scams is their propensity for refering to your work as 'the item'.

I once strung one of these guys along (while keeping the police in the loop). I was interested to see whether they'd actually send their 'shipping agent' out to Bumbleputz (AKA Mosow) Idaho.

I got a note that they'd done a google search on my location. Their IP address, email, and everything else dropped off the face of the map immediately afterwards. I can just picture them calculating mileage and getting the long face...

Archived