• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lendseypottery

lendseypottery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

I got a big order from Australia.  They want to pay by credit card.  They want me to use their shipper who only takes western union or wire transfer.  Too good to be true?  watch out for this kind of order.  potterycountry.com thanks mark and bevanne.

#2 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

These kinds of scams are showing up for artists that have an online presence all the time and from multiple sources.  I've been getting them for YEARS.  And the frequency is now increasing absolutely exponentially.....which says that likely these dirtbags are maybe finding some "takers".  I typically get at LEAST one per day....sometimes multiple.

They used to target other kinds of businesses... but apparently they have "found" artists.

Personally, I'm still wating for that deposit from the Nigerian Minister of the Treasury to get into my account.  ;)

best,

........john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#3 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Yes, I get these all the time ... the silliest ones are those that claim to come from countries whose native crafts sell for pennies ... really, you want me to ship you expensive North American pottery?? <_<

The Nigerians have given up on me but the people trying to hack into my Yahoo & AT&T email accounts have not.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#4 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

I recently had one form some "Japanese" person with a gallery in "Japan".  THAT says that they are possibly spending time "targeting" more than we might think, given my background. 

There were some inconsistencies in the address and such that I could readily see. 

So for some fun I replied back all in Japanese language and told them I was VERY interested in this and for  sure... I'd be GLAD to do this.  Please... sign me up.  Which should have had them salivating in anticipation of a nice score.

Of course... they couldn't READ this reply.  So as expected ............... no response.

best,

.......................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#5 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Whenever they email with only a couple of lines of text, wanting to order equipment  and 'do I accept credit cards?', it's a scam. I've been getting these for 10 years now!

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#6 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

. . . but the people trying to hack into my Yahoo & AT&T email accounts have not.

Relax, Chris . . . they're from the government and they are there to help you. 

#7 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

One of the 'tells' with these scams is their propensity for refering to your work as 'the item'.

I once strung one of these guys along (while keeping the police in the loop). I was interested to see whether they'd actually send their 'shipping agent' out to Bumbleputz (AKA Mosow) Idaho.

I got a note that they'd done a google search on my location. Their IP address, email, and everything else dropped off the face of the map immediately afterwards. I can just picture them calculating mileage and getting the long face...

Not all who wander are lost

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scam, fraud, freight scam, big international order

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users