How Long To Wait After Applying Glaze...is There A Quick Way?

hershey8

I dip my bisqueware (without pre-wetting), and then I load it into the kiln and turn it on.  I haven't had any issues yet.  I would recommend a little more of a wait if you thouroughly saturate the pots.  If you're glazing greenware, I'd recommend a much longer wait!

Alice

Thanks Alice, Neil and Joan.  Good to know I don't have to wait all day. I sprayed glaze on today and will toast a few pieces tonight. I had kiln on high with lid open, and no trace of vapor. So I shut it and will see what tomorrow brings. 

Good night, john

on the other side of the ceramics world....if you're glazing life-size, once-fired sculpture -- you should ideally give 6-12hrs minimum between glazing and moving the piece, 24hrs even better especially if you have to pick it up.  

just think...100-300lb sculpture 3-6ft tall + close to 1 gallon liquid glaze = potential collapse by gravity and vibrations of moving the piece after saturating your bone-dry sculpture with all that glaze.

tiny little functional pots - no problemo, glaze and stick 'em right in the kiln.

• 3 weeks later...

you spray your glaze???  and it is bisque?  doesn't it dry on contact allowing you to handle it immediately?  do you water down your glazes so everything is drippy?

one of the many advantages to spraying is that you can handle it right away. only the surface gets damp, it is not like being saturated from dipping.   if it looks dry it will be ok to fire it when it is loaded since loading takes time and therefore you are  tossing it in while only the surface is damp.  as long as you are spraying reasonably thick glaze and not watering it down.  (glaze the consistency of commercial glazes work well if you turn up the compressor)

i just turned on my kiln after spending yesterday and today spray glazing both greenware and some items that were refired.  i do not bisque first.   this is just my experience, your situation may be different.  what temp you are going to, what temp did you bisque to, are you watering down your glaze and getting it all wet that way are all things that matter. 

Archived