25 replies to this topic

#21 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Not surprized you sold these beautiful sculptures.Welldone, you!! 

#22 oldlady

oldlady

firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

WOW!  i am impressed with your sales after such a short career.  the display looks great, too.  maybe a little too crowded on each pedestal, but only a little, little bit.  

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#23 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

Not surprized you sold these beautiful sculptures.Welldone, you!! 

Thanks, Babs. But I sometimes think a good show or a bad show has as much to do with luck as with anything else! I mean, if your show depends on 20 or 30 sales, and 10 of those folks decided to do something else that weekend ---  Yikes!!

#24 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

WOW!  i am impressed with your sales after such a short career.  the display looks great, too.  maybe a little too crowded on each pedestal, but only a little, little bit.  

I agree about the pedestals being too crowded -- both too many pedestals and too much stuff on them.  But since each piece is unique, it's a scary gamble to hold back some of the sculptures, waiting for a space to open up.  Obviously, though, it's something I'll have to deal with if I want to carry forty-ONE pieces next time!!!  (okay, maybe I could have squeezed ONE more in.....)

#25 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Yeah they are just tools at the end of the day and shiny unmarked tools are the ones you never use.

Selling 75% of what you took had to feel good! Even though you have changed mediums I assume a lot of the business side of things are the same as you have been used to over the these last 20 years. It must have seemed like a daunting task to switch gears, change mediums and make it all work, congratulations!

#26 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Thanks, Stephen. Yeah, it's such a crapshoot to take your work out into the world, but seeing your work sell is always a kick -- as long as you know that the value of your work isn't determined by the sales tally at the end of any one show.    And even though the business hasn't changed much in the 7- or 8-year hiatus that my hand injury forced on me, the details are different -- digital images instead of slides, artist websites, disporporionately higher show fees, and a clientele that is spoiled for choices (more galleries, shows, etsy,.....).  The transfer of skills to sculpting clay from carving wood wasn't especially daunting, but the limitless possibilities of clay finishing is often overwhelming.  I wish that I knew much, much, MUCH more about clay and firing and glazes! 

whispering (and i still kinda wish i hadn't messed up my kiln) <_<

Jayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users