Woodfire Effects?

I just got results from first wood fire.

There a wide shot , and 2 details one more so the leading side/ fire side other trailing/ fire shadow side.

This is highwater moon white or, helios with granite inclusions, this granite/chicken grit was red so I'm assuming some iron content, no glaze, approx cone 13 firing. The white melts bits along with some of the red spots are the granite melting.

Most of the photos I've researched are not like this. This piece is much softer in color, more feminine, if you will. This piece has more pastel colors greens , yellows, greys, blues, whites even pink. (iPhone camera does no justice) than the traditional warm browns and reds, or drippy glaze looks. Which I did get on other pieces. There some of that toasty brown flashing inside and on bottom of pot but for the most part minority.

Another piece with similar clay also had similar pastels. Without the granite. Definitely not what is in highwater catalog for wood fired effect of this clay.

I think it is beautiful!! , and unexpected,

For those woodfire gurus..... Is this look a less desirable effect? Any guess what part of kiln? Is there a descriptive in japanese for this look?

post-25544-0-43250500-1382825576_thumb.jpg

post-25544-0-18500200-1382825629_thumb.jpg

post-25544-0-59759800-1382825668_thumb.jpg

post-25544-0-43250500-1382825576_thumb.jpg

post-25544-0-18500200-1382825629_thumb.jpg

post-25544-0-59759800-1382825668_thumb.jpg

1. I have 40 acres in Colorado. The ground is decomposing granite. I just scoop up from areas where the water drains. I then screen it. You can go to landscape rock places and ask for the "dust" from their granite gravel.

2. I have added to Laguna half and half.

3. I got yellows with a little green hue.

4. I have ground granite dust from a local rock cutter. It makes a good green celadon glaze with walnut ash.

I have given almost all of my stuff away as gifts without getting pics. But, I'll make another glaze with granite dust and walnut ash before Christmas. I will get pics.

I would guess that is right up front: I often see that gray look up front: I associate that with being a bit over roasted and maybe a touch of the dreaded "old man skin" which can happen when the front pots get blasted with cold air when the stoke door gets opened. I'm sure Yoda Baymore San will correct me on both of these (:

Archived