Mounting A Circular Sculpture Onto A Base

Hello Good People!

A question from a novice - so please bear with me.

I've made these sculptures from wheel thrown pieces as I'm completely and utterly in love with the wheel and all things curved!

The only snag is I don't know how best to mount them without losing the curvature or the balance of the forms when upright.

All suggestions and ideas are welcome!!

Many thanks

Geetha

post-2784-12864651410234_thumb.jpg

post-2784-12864651410234_thumb.jpg

Hello Good People!

I've made these sculptures from wheel thrown pieces as I'm completely and utterly in love with the wheel and all things curved!

The only snag is I don't know how best to mount them without losing the curvature or the balance of the forms when upright.

Many thanks

Geetha

You may join them to a slab, and then fire the thing as a unit slowly.

Thanks Pres.

The problem I was encountering had very much to do with the weight balance when trying to centre it on the slab for joining. While it was leatherhard, it was fragile and cracking from the weight at the top.

Will try again and keep u posted.

Thanks

You are going to have a tough time standing this kind of form upright on a base because of the limited area of contact. Anything you attach it to on the bottom will be easily broken because of all the weight balanced vertically. I would consider attaching it to a spherical shape, but not at the top of the sphere but close to one edge along the bottom as well as further up the side of the sphere in order to give lots of support.

Another idea is to make two or more of this kind of form and join them together edge to edge to provide stability and support. The combined forms may then be joined to a low or flat base with no worry about them breaking off.

Hello Good People!

Many thanks

Geetha

Hello Geetha,

Nice curvy forms! Have you thought of firing the pieces individually and then assemble them (ie glue them with epoxy)?

Were you thinking of firing it as one piece? vertically or flat? It would seem like your piece is more suited to being fired as a horizontal piece.

Hope this helps

Anthony

Archived