Ooops...i Forgot To Sign My Pot.

Well, I bisque fired a small load of cone 6 bowls, and only one bottom blew off.  So that one won't be a problem to sign, because with no bottom, signing is not an option. But, I'm wondering, how in heck will I sign my name on to the rest of the bowls? I could use a laundry marker, but....naw. How would a savvy potter sign a pot after bisqueing (is that even a word, doesn't look right) or even after firing to completion?  I'm guessing you wouldn't use a glaze, as that would stick the pot to the shelf (I'm catching on). But how about a stain or a slip that has been modified to stick to bisque? Any thoughts. Thanks, john autry (Hershey8 is my dog...Woof!...he thanks you too.

Use a mix of red iron oxide and water, sign on bottom with a brush.  Or, after glaze is done, sign with a Sharpie.

I was hoping you would say this, because it had crossed my mind. I wasn't sure if the oxide would set up or not. Thanks for the solution. ja

I had to add some special info on a pot this week for a baptism. I used a glass marker that bakes for 40 minutes to 375F. This made it pretty easy to add the text without the hassle of doing the text on the two pieces I made for the customer to choose one. I know, I know, but good people.

Truth is, nobody really cares about your signature until you become famous. Did you notice, I use the word "famous" and not "good" because "famous" has nothing to do with good.

Until you become "famous" and hopefully "good", signed or not, makes zero difference.

I only sign pieces I personally like (seriously like and I feel proud of). It has NOTHING to do what customers like.

I believe that the most important tool in every potters shop is the hammer. You need to develop brutal self criticism to evolve above mediocrity. To get there, use that hammer of yours as often as you can.

I believe that the most important tool in every potters shop is the hammer. You need to develop brutal self criticism to evolve above mediocrity. To get there, use that hammer of yours as often as you can.

Foul!  :o

I'm a carpenter, I have too many hammers.  :D

Communal firing means I have to sign mine,  (although I do also sign what I make at home - it's just habit now) I know I'll never be famous.

• 3 weeks later...

I worked for some professional potters with high quality work who always signed their work with a Sharpie, after the glaze firing. It was black Sharpie on brick red clay, and it looked fine. There are lots of colors of Sharpies these days, including ones that look like iron oxide.

For special projects, I've used a Pen-Touch gold pen, quick dry metallic ink, permanent. A little nerve wracking hoping you don't make a mistake, but results were great. This was a long time ago, and there are probably more options now.

For my general work, I still use the method of signing into leather hard greenware with a dulled wooden knife. Gives a softer line than a sharp wooden knife. When I occasionally forget to sign, which is rare, then I use a Sharpie, but really prefer that all my signing look the same.

Archived