3 replies to this topic

#1 sorris

sorris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

I am just getting back into clay after a long hiatus due to lack of studio space and other responsibilities. In the past I have usually known other potters where I could get some leads on good clays and glazes and check out some samples. I don't know any potters where I live and have had to rely on manufacturers write ups and test tiles at a supplier. At the clay store everyone says "you'll have to test it". Well, that's for sure but without a glaze studio I have accumulated some clays and glazes that are not working the way I hoped. I am hoping I can shorten the learning curve with some advice from those who have used Western clays.

I do smaller scale hand-building: a good cone 5/6 porcelain and a white stoneware with a bit more strength (really fine sand or grog only) would both be desirable (no wheel work). So far I have had a lot of glaze fitting issues with the bodies I have tried (some success with clear glaze on porcelain, but success with a celadon type glaze is on my wish list)  My location is Arizona so I would probably be looking at California manufacturers. I am considering a couple of Aardvark clays for my next clay trials (Nara 5 and BeeMix with sand), any comments on those?  I do both slab construction and pinching and like a smooth body. I prefer white bodies so that I lessen the chances of contaminating porcelain with another color and I also plan to use body stains in porcelain. Firing is electric oxidation.

Just to eliminate a few questions: I have already tried to fine tune bisque firing and I don't think it is the problem. I have called the clay manufacturer and spoke to a tech guy there, and I also talked to a guy in the back at the clay store. In the end I got honest comments about both clays I have been using that lead me to think they are less than ideal for my purposes and one is particularly difficult to get a good glaze fit under any circumstances. So I am back to looking at trying other clay bodies and hope that I can stick with one manufacturer to help with shipping. With any luck I might even find that some of the glazes I have already purchased might fit better on another clay. It isn't practical for me to start up a glaze studio right now so I would probably do best to find commercial glazes but would use glazemixer.com for a proven winner.

I would be grateful for any suggestions since my time is limited and I want to reduce stress in my life by having more fun with clay and enjoying the end result. As you might imagine, this is my first post. :)

#2 spadefootclay

spadefootclay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

You might look at New Mexico Clay: http://www.nmclay.com/

I used both their Columbine (porcelain) and White Stoneware clays;  Brant (owner) has always been helpful.

Peter

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

First question I have is where are you located? NW, CA, NV, AZ, WA, OR?
There are a lot of distributors along the coast. I used Seattle pottery for some clays. I am not familiar with many commercial clays as I mixed my own for decades. I have used commercial porcelain.
There are several in Sea-tac area. Seattle Pottery , The Clay Center and Georgies are big suppliers in that area.
As suggested above. Call the supplier close to you and talk to them.
Marcia

#4 sorris

sorris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am in Arizona.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: porcelain, stoneware, cone 6, glaze, handbuilding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users