Small Electric Kilns

Hi there, I'm new to here and am hoping someone can help. I recently purchased a small electric kiln. I make little pendants for jewellery and am wondering if I can fire these faster as they are small and thin and the kiln is small. Any words of wisdom would be muchos appreciated :)

The ideal answer is to run a test firing with seconds or plain clay. If you don't want to do that ... My best guess is that you will probably be OK if the pieces are all the same thin-ness and are totally dry. I would not put my precious pieces in the first run however, I would do a test fire.

Fire in haste, regret at leisure.

what is the desired "fast" schedule you're looking for?  small kilns can fire pretty quick.  when we fire tests in our little Skutt 609 and 614 with test tiles that are bone dry, we can usually get it fired off in about 4hrs for the quickest firings (but this is VERY dry work and we are usually around 3/8-1/2" thick for tests).  for really small items with not very much mass, I'm guessing you can try to fire faster.  of course this is the FIRING time, not factoring in the time for cooling to room temp.

best advice is to push it hard and blow something up w/o glaze on it (or with), then you know the limit.  that's how i learned with the pieces I make.  every object/clay body/dryness will be different, so keep that in mind.  since the firing is so fast you will likely be present to hear the "pop" and can shut the kiln down after it happens, then you'll know it was too fast :)

Here is info on the kiln: 

http://www.technicalsupermarket.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,4/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,533/category_id,386/manufacturer_id,0/vmcchk,1/

Best I can tell it has one firing speed -- On.  Does allow you to set an end temperature. 

Archived