#41 cgb

cgb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

omg, lol.........notice that a lot of people like that word control.........its funny to me because I never want to have full control...........flaws are beautiful........but I am feeling ify about the painters rim lol!

#42 cgb

cgb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Well..........after all these posts...........I roll too thin........if I roll a bit thicker.....I will be less prone to having problems..........sea foam..........well yes I get very spontaneous with glazes........so........more caution or carefulness.....yes.....this is a good month for coiled soup bowls :)))))))))

#43 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Control could be substituted with the word knowledge! How does that sound? And so if ever :) you might wish/dream of repeating that effect on any other pot, you may  be able to pull it off!! If the gods are smiling, no power outage, glaze t he right thickness, ingredients mined from the same spot on the planet.. I could go on! So you may see why sometimes I like to think I just might have a little control over what happens for a moment in my pottery!! Most often there's a surprize and that's got the brain thinking again!

Soup bowls now there's a challenge, shape , size, weight, hand held, winter soup, summer soup, are you freaking yet?? :o

#44 cgb

cgb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

I bet I can duplicate the unwanted froth wave again............finally recalled what I did (but not sure I want to, lol).........yeah some control is needed.........the more time and effort I put into one pot the better is turns out. Soup bowls sound like a terrific winter suggestion!

I made a small dip container with a pointed handle/tail on one side, reminiscent of Celtic pots..........it was pinched out.........I really like it...........and I guess I would do some sketches and then make a winter soup bowl like that......the pointed handle is not great for cupboard storage but its very handy :)

I really appreciate your comments..........I like the surprize element in pottery........its terminally boring to see 4 cups same size same shape with only variations in glaze colors........speaking of glazing..........I am happy with some of what I have done and use weird methods and a concept.......split 2nd timing........weird glaze effects can be ok........cracks not really :)

#45 lindaw49

lindaw49

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire UK

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

I use an Arts centre funded by Mind, a mental health charity, and run by volunteers so there is very little money and no permanent trained staff. Havind said that we turn out some interesting work with a low level of damaged items possibly because for safety reasons only one person is allowed to load/unload and run the kiln. We also have problems with other people who use the same space handling wares even when asked not to,polite notices don't work so we are getting mesh doors for the shelves. Cleaning and tidying iss done by users at the end of each class and mostly works,there are always those who skive off. 

Thanks to everyone in the  Ceramics Community for sharing their ideas and opening up a marvellous creative field for me to explore. Wish I knew how to attach photos to show you what we do.

Linda

#46 lindaw49

lindaw49

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire UK

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi  just realised I attached photo of cracked pot in the Adding a Photo with this New Software group so I'll try again.  This is all totally new to me including taking photos so help would be appreciated as long as the language is simple.

The tray shape was taken from a Ceramic Arts post by Glenn Wood thanks Glenn for a lovely idea I shall try again without the crack next time.

All our glazes are mass produced for safety reasons as the room is too small for mixing safely. This still leaves so many ways to combine stains and glazes it should keep me happy for years.

All the best to friendly potters out there  keep posting.

Linda

Attached Files

#47 cathgill

cathgill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY and southern Ontario

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Do people have experience modifying  glaze fit?  After many years, I changed clay (supplier) and suddenly pieces with flatter bottoms break before kiln is opened.  Sometimes the glaze appears cracked but the clay does not actually break.  Since it is not 100% it makes it more difficult to test for modifications

Any suggestions? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users