Crack In Finished Bowl ?

cgb

The Guru John who reads all we write and then shines a bright light of reason onto our problems prob knows where to find them online. But googling will get you there.

Still cracking after home  that's a lot of stress.  Had pots pinging for days but cracking is a whole different level of tension! Well done!  I see a pttery in action exhibition coming your way!

if I were able to make a distinctive tiny crack consistently in the same place on each piece that would align with  the deliberate chip during the Endo period............I really like the concepts involved in Hagi ware......I dislike completely perfect bowls, cups, etc.....I have always wanted an imperfection to show humanity.........to make a mark on time itself..........wabi sabi..............the idea of filling cracks with gold is very appealing.......the stress crack of use and years  showing the suffering and acknowledgement of the suffering by a precious metal.......beautiful......idea and implementation............

extra wabi, perhaps not enough sabi......... :))))))))))))) early in the year I tried a yunomi.....that simple form so difficult

no cracks ............the vase has a very mediocre color.........too washed out......not enough glaze

post-36904-0-97076100-1383458375_thumb.jpg

post-36904-0-13031600-1383521116_thumb.jpg

post-36904-0-97076100-1383458375_thumb.jpg

post-36904-0-13031600-1383521116_thumb.jpg

I would also say that your bowl rim is quite thin, and that you are probably pushing the limits for that type of clay for that thickness. The crack is consistent with the normal force on the rim - i.e sagging outward and down and a rim would tend to tear like that if it is too thin and not "elastic" enough.

Do you perhaps work your clay when it is a bit dry and beyond its stretching limit? It can cause small hairline cracks that become worse during firing.

Some clays can handle a lot of thermal shock (Raku clay) and is resistant to cracking.

Good luck with your pots.

A kiln of your own where your thin pots are not placed i within a stack of heavier wares and all the rest discussed would be the way to go. Small single phase kilns are available.

Yeh upright and contained shapes tend to be more forgiving . Know your clay limits and techniques reqired then go bend them!!! Clay is an unforgiving medium and it has a memory....

Great images.

I would also say that your bowl rim is quite thin, and that you are probably pushing the limits for that type of clay for that thickness. The crack is consistent with the normal force on the rim - i.e sagging outward and down and a rim would tend to tear like that if it is too thin and not "elastic" enough.

Do you perhaps work your clay when it is a bit dry and beyond its stretching limit? It can cause small hairline cracks that become worse during firing.

Some clays can handle a lot of thermal shock (Raku clay) and is resistant to cracking.

er which one, the first complaint.......yeah, but check out the brown one, with the glaze streaks....deliberate......its thinner......no working dry :)

Good luck with your pots.

A kiln of your own where your thin pots are not placed i within a stack of heavier wares and all the rest discussed would be the way to go. Small single phase kilns are available.

Yeh upright and contained shapes tend to be more forgiving . Know your clay limits and techniques reqired then go bend them!!! Clay is an unforgiving medium and it has a memory....

Great images.

Thank you again :) Rules bending is one of my favorite aspects of life and clay.........have to wait until spring for gas kiln.......maybe longer....have a beautiful day....oh, and splash of shino did exactly what I wanted.........firery

post-36904-0-96436100-1383521242_thumb.jpg

post-36904-0-96436100-1383521242_thumb.jpg

Rich stuff there, who knows what you'll dream up over winter!! Big wabi sabi soup bowls, held in hand kind!! friend who made semi circular pots then inverted them, picked them up with a couple of finger s and thumb when they were still a bit soft ___ personal soup/rice bowls  nice! Had to empty them before setting them down, no prob for the hungry..  Left rims unglazed and fired them inverted, luscious interiors.

Good luck.

ahhhhhhhhhh........too bad it looks like it was left in a room that was being painted.......I usually apply thin, thin, very much so..........well perhaps next time I can get a piece that does not have a major problem :)

Thanks for writing Babs......

omg, lol.........notice that a lot of people like that word control.........its funny to me because I never want to have full control...........flaws are beautiful........but I am feeling ify about the painters rim lol!

Well..........after all these posts...........I roll too thin........if I roll a bit thicker.....I will be less prone to having problems..........sea foam..........well yes I get very spontaneous with glazes........so........more caution or carefulness.....yes.....this is a good month for coiled soup bowls :)))))))))

Control could be substituted with the word knowledge! How does that sound? And so if ever :) you might wish/dream of repeating that effect on any other pot, you may  be able to pull it off!! If the gods are smiling, no power outage, glaze t he right thickness, ingredients mined from the same spot on the planet.. I could go on! So you may see why sometimes I like to think I just might have a little control over what happens for a moment in my pottery!! Most often there's a surprize and that's got the brain thinking again!

Soup bowls now there's a challenge, shape , size, weight, hand held, winter soup, summer soup, are you freaking yet?? :o

I bet I can duplicate the unwanted froth wave again............finally recalled what I did (but not sure I want to, lol).........yeah some control is needed.........the more time and effort I put into one pot the better is turns out. Soup bowls sound like a terrific winter suggestion!

I made a small dip container with a pointed handle/tail on one side, reminiscent of Celtic pots..........it was pinched out.........I really like it...........and I guess I would do some sketches and then make a winter soup bowl like that......the pointed handle is not great for cupboard storage but its very handy :)

I really appreciate your comments..........I like the surprize element in pottery........its terminally boring to see 4 cups same size same shape with only variations in glaze colors........speaking of glazing..........I am happy with some of what I have done and use weird methods and a concept.......split 2nd timing........weird glaze effects can be ok........cracks not really :)

I use an Arts centre funded by Mind, a mental health charity, and run by volunteers so there is very little money and no permanent trained staff. Havind said that we turn out some interesting work with a low level of damaged items possibly because for safety reasons only one person is allowed to load/unload and run the kiln. We also have problems with other people who use the same space handling wares even when asked not to,polite notices don't work so we are getting mesh doors for the shelves. Cleaning and tidying iss done by users at the end of each class and mostly works,there are always those who skive off. 

Thanks to everyone in the  Ceramics Community for sharing their ideas and opening up a marvellous creative field for me to explore. Wish I knew how to attach photos to show you what we do.

Linda

Hi  just realised I attached photo of cracked pot in the Adding a Photo with this New Software group so I'll try again.  This is all totally new to me including taking photos so help would be appreciated as long as the language is simple.

The tray shape was taken from a Ceramic Arts post by Glenn Wood thanks Glenn for a lovely idea I shall try again without the crack next time.

All our glazes are mass produced for safety reasons as the room is too small for mixing safely. This still leaves so many ways to combine stains and glazes it should keep me happy for years.

All the best to friendly potters out there  keep posting.

Linda

post-58823-0-82588700-1385328389_thumb.jpg

post-58823-0-82588700-1385328389_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Do people have experience modifying  glaze fit?  After many years, I changed clay (supplier) and suddenly pieces with flatter bottoms break before kiln is opened.  Sometimes the glaze appears cracked but the clay does not actually break.  Since it is not 100% it makes it more difficult to test for modifications

Any suggestions? 

Archived