How Do I Begin Setting Up A Ceramic Competition To Be Held In 2011?

I am searching for reference materials regarding ceramic art competitions. No idea where to start. I can obtain community and various organizational supports but nothing like this has been done here before. Hint, I do not live in the USA. Can anyone please refer me to persons or organizations that have information? I am great at following matrixes set up by others. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Guest JBaymore

I am searching for reference materials regarding ceramic art competitions. No idea where to start. I can obtain community and various organizational supports but nothing like this has been done here before. Hint, I do not live in the USA. Can anyone please refer me to persons or organizations that have information? I am great at following matrixes set up by others. Any assistance will be appreciated.

More information would be helpfulsince the specifics will dictate a lot of the answers. Is there already a theme for the show besides "clay"? Is this to be a local event, a national level event, an international event? What country? What exactly are you trying to accomplish (beyond just having a show)?

The more you can illsutrate your vision... as well as the context..... the better people can help you.

best,

..................john

In re-reading your subject, you want to initiate a ceramics competition. There are websites out there where potential exhibitors would find your competition. I suggest trying something like slideroom.com as the submission venue. Also think of a well=known juror who would do a decewnt job in selecting the work and who might attract submissions. Be sure to provide insurance during the exhibition. Specify what type of commission will be taken. And assure a wide viewing public.

Marcia

In re-reading your subject, you want to initiate a ceramics competition. There are websites out there where potential exhibitors would find your competition. I suggest trying something like slideroom.com as the submission venue. Also think of a well=known juror who would do a decewnt job in selecting the work and who might attract submissions. Be sure to provide insurance during the exhibition. Specify what type of commission will be taken. And assure a wide viewing public.

Marcia

Thank you for your responses. I am in Portugal, you know that little country that faces the Atlantic. Thus far, I have garnered support from an important Maritime Society and an important public entity for exhibition space. Thank you Marcia for the suggestion that I ask a well known person or persons to act as judges. We will begin bringing international artists for workshops next year and we can coordinate the dates to co-incide with their presence.

Yes, the theme will be something like "Seapots, teapots from the sea" Portugal is a tea drinking culture (as well as great wine) and the Ocean is a huge influence historically as well as present day.

We would like to make it an international competition.

Another thing, in response to John's question regarding 'What we hope to accomplish" As a dual Amerian-Portuguese I am in the unique position to compare the importance of art within the 2 cultures. It seems to me that Portugal has lost its way. And in many ways has "never been" We have many wonderful things in this tiny place, great balmy weather, great wines, good food, a gentle English speaking population. But art has never been a priority. I would personally like to start a new movement for support of ceramics in this country.

Rather lofty thinking but then as an American I believe that things need to begin somewhere. So, why not me?

Another thing, in response to John's question regarding 'What we hope to accomplish" As a dual Amerian-Portuguese I am in the unique position to compare the importance of art within the 2 cultures. It seems to me that Portugal has lost its way. And in many ways has "never been" We have many wonderful things in this tiny place, great balmy weather, great wines, good food, a gentle English speaking population. But art has never been a priority. I would personally like to start a new movement for support of ceramics in this country.

Rather lofty thinking but then as an American I believe that things need to begin somewhere. So, why not me?

Obviously, you know better than me but if I had to put money on a study to decide this, I'd bet that it would find that proportionally art is more of a priority in Portugal than in America. Good luck with your efforts. I've got to get back to work making pots so I can retire to the Azores.

Jim

Obviously, you know better than me but if I had to put money on a study to decide this, I'd bet that it would find that proportionally art is more of a priority in Portugal than in America. Good luck with your efforts. I've got to get back to work making pots so I can retire to the Azores.

Jim

I think you may be confusing Portugal with the rest of Europe. The priorities have always been different. Besides it is a small country with a tiny population that was more concerned with putting food on the table than establishing anything like the great museums of Europe. The Azores are spectacular.

I think you may be confusing Portugal with the rest of Europe. The priorities have always been different. Besides it is a small country with a tiny population that was more concerned with putting food on the table than establishing anything like the great museums of Europe. The Azores are spectacular.

No, I'm not confusing Portugal with the rest of Europe, so I wouldn't change my bet. I wonder who Joao Cargueijeiro (spelling?) would agree with. If you run into him, ask him.

Jim

The Columbus Collage of Art in Columbus OH USA hosted a completion called Feats of Clay.It would be a starting point for information. 30 High Schools participated and it seemed to go off with out a hitch. I have seen it online in other locations too. Sounds like a big undertaking but a lot of fun.

I did a presentation at the Potters Council/Tile Heritage Conference in Pomona CA. I think that is where I saw a presentation by a Portuguese Tile Artist. I am sorry I can't remember his name. He showed some very huge tile installations that were beautifully designed...one had gradations of blue. Very nice work.

It has been 8 or so years ago. I have always admired the tile work in Portugal and I visited a few potters there back in the 80s. I think there is a good art community in Portugal.

Marcia

I did a presentation at the Potters Council/Tile Heritage Conference in Pomona CA. I think that is where I saw a presentation by a Portuguese Tile Artist. I am sorry I can't remember his name. He showed some very huge tile installations that were beautifully designed...one had gradations of blue. Very nice work.

It has been 8 or so years ago. I have always admired the tile work in Portugal and I visited a few potters there back in the 80s. I think there is a good art community in Portugal.

Marcia

Oh dear, I think I started this off into a tangent by offering an opinion of what I observe. Of course the country has some wonderful traditions and artists. Back to the competition. I spoke to the public entity and I have been assured of practically any space I would like or need. I have also received some amazing inspiration and ideas. Marcia, I am going to send you a private email via your website. BTW, I found your plan for the right angle support for architectural ceramics 6 months ago and had one built for the ceramic school. No teacher had thought of anything like it and the student work was suffering.

• 3 months later...

Archived