Help I Over Fired My Bisque Kiln!

I am totally new to firing my own pieces.  Just recently got my Kiln.  In the midst of mass confusion yesterday morning when I started my bisque kiln, (with 5 children running around) I selected Cone 4 instead of Cone 04.  Question is:   is there anyway to still glaze the pieces in this kiln?  If I attempt to glaze will it stick or run all over the place.

I'm kicking myself in the butt because I had made my Daughter a tea set for Christmas that was in this kiln.:(  Any help would be great.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Anne

You'll have a hard time getting glaze to stick to those pieces, although it is possible if you're using brushing glazes. Warming the pots first can help. It will probably take more coats than usual to get a thick enough layer. Try it and see.

From now on, every time you start the kiln: listen for the click of the relays to make sure it is indeed on, then push the review program button to double check that you put in the correct cone. I still do this every time I fire, after 20 years of making pots.

most likely no permanent damage.  as neil says, it might be just a little harder to glaze unless you heat the pieces first.  they will not be as absorbent but the glaze will stick to a heated piece.  doesn't even need a lot of heat, just warmer than comfortable to hold will do.  hair dryer each piece individually or if your glazing area is close enough to your kitchen oven, put them all in at once at the lowest setting and take each out separately with a hot pad as you work on them one at a time.  they will cool as you work on them but probably not enough to prevent the glazing and the next piece is waiting it's turn in the warm oven.  everything will be ok.  don't worry.

Archived