Soda Ash Question & Thanks!

A while ago I asked for advice on buying soda ash for some tests I wanted to run on increasing surface fluxing.

I want to thank everyone for the advice ... got the soda ash and ran some tests and I think it will work out for me. Unfortunately two coats of the solution is a bit too unpredictable ... some areas are perfect and others are either too dull or too shiny ... and three coats make the piece way too glaze shiny ... as usual, more testing ahead.

Question #2

I think part my problem was that as the saturated solution cooled, particles started to reform ... so is the answer is to keep the solution warm enough to keep everything dissolved??

Chris,

How are you applying the solution?

Could it be a problem with the solution moving about within the bisque, either during the

application or while drying? Purely as an experiment you might try adding some CMC to

make a "painting" solution. Hopefully, the soda should stay close to where you applied it

-- and close to the surface -- until the firing.

Regards, Peter

Guest JBaymore

Use red food coloring........ 99% of the time it leaves no trace (test)... not so some of the other colors.

I mix it up in small amounts that I can use up in one application setting and keep it hot (small warmer plate). 

Air currents in the drying will affect where the water evaporates from on the surface... hence where the soda is deposited.  It is inherently a bit of a "variable" process.

best,

.......................john

Archived