3 replies to this topic

#1 eoteceramics

eoteceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hi, is it possible to mix an underglaze with  coloured slips and then brush onto green ware? I haven't the colour I need, but if I could do this it would solve the problem. Thanks, Julia

#2 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

Yes. I have done this. Bear in mind that adding these colors to a white slip will lighten them. Test first to make sure the colors are right and that the two formulas interact well before using on a good piece. Underglazes have ingredients in them that keep them wet and spreadable longer so this can cause issues.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#3 eoteceramics

eoteceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for reply Chris, will give it a trial run  !

#4 perkolator

perkolator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

if you have access to the actual mason stain used in the underglaze, you can make a colored slip.  just make your white slip in dry form and add 10% stain to this before mixing in water, then sieve well.

my go-to white slip recipe is equal parts (25% each) Silica, EPK, OM#4, and Custer Feldspar.  Very versatile white slip recipe that can be used from earthenware up to stoneware temps.

to make your own underglaze, use equal parts (33% each) Clay, Flux, and Colorant -- usually I'll do either EPK or Ball clay, Gerstley Borate or a frit like 3124/3134, then the colorant (oxides or mason stain).  usually i'll use CMC solution as the water for UG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users