#21 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

I have only recently started to cone up, when throwing.  It just wasn't taught to me, though I did come across the process quite a bit elsewhere.  So I finally broke down, and decided to see what the fuss was all about. 

I honestly haven't found there to be a difference in the end product. 

In regards to avoiding the dreaded "S-Crack" I have found taking a wood rib to the bottom, for compression, works quite well. 

I will say, it is a good way to get a feel for the clay, and does help center though.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

Coning up and down is for me way to center that I have done since 1969 when I was exposed to the wheel .

I do not do it for small clay amounts only larger forms.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 yedrow

yedrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

I pug the clay and then cone up and down two times for anything over 2 pounds. This takes care of cracks. Good handling after drying is important too. A well designed clay will actually tolerate a lot, as long as you don't break certain rules. A poorly designed clay though will impose itself upon your work.

Joel.

#24 PotterGrl

PotterGrl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

You already have all the advise you could possibly need ;o)  For me, I do rams head wedging and have never had an issue with it. I try the spiral now and again just because I want to be able to do it, so far my hands/brain haven't figured it out ;o) Simon Leach has a great video where he teaches the spiral wedging process, I need to go look at that again. He also teaches the wire cut and slap process. Look up his videos and search within his videos, wonderful stuff.

I only wedge standing up. I'm 5'3" and 115lbs, I need all the weight/height I can get behind my wedging ;o) 

I never used to cone up simply because I couldn't. I never had an issue, probably because after I open up, I compress the bottom well before I even pull up. Now I do cone, but only a little bit. From what I understand, it's purpose is compression of the clay and help centering. I will say, I think it does help center. I don't do the tall coning like you see some people do, but it seems coning does help the centering. I now center like a pro! I've never had lumps in my clay, unless the clay just isn't mixed well. I don't think coning has anything to do with that. My pottery teacher, who has been doing this for nearly 40 years, throws her bags of clay  on the floor many times before using. Maybe once per side or even more if she can tell it's stiff clay. 

#25 Davidpotter

Davidpotter

Determined Young Buck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Wisconsin

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

i spiral wedge and then cone. since i do most of my throwing at school we don't always have perfectly soft clay so i will usually cone a bit for more dry pieces. But i mostly use coning for centering. plus now its just automatic for me. It does help you find non clay pieces though if you are in a class full of careless people throwing whatever is in their bucket into the pug mill. ribs, sponges, fired clay pieces, needle tools (yes it hurts to find needle tools while centering) etc.

Practice, practice, practice. Then when you think you've practiced enough, the real practice begins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users