Making Paper Clay In Pug Mill

Doc Joe

I hope this winter to start working on an outdoor fountian and plant to use a whie stoneware clay. I want to turn the stoneware into paper clay and planned to just mis the paper pupl into the clay in my Peter PUgger. Will this work? Help anyone!

I don't think it will do a great job of it ... I can't see how you would be able to get it evenly mixed in.

It would seem to be one of the hardest ways to do it.

If you don't have a clay mixer, just dry out your clay then add the pulp and water to make slip.

Then just let the slip dry to the right consistency. I put down a thick layer of old newspapers

then cover them with an old bed sheet and dry the slip on that.

A good site for paper clay info is Graham Hay's and there might be a better answer there.

I have a Peter Pugger and it can mix even dry mix into clay and seems to do a great job of mixing reclamed dry and hard clay and water really well into very workable clay. Thanks for your advice though. I will give it a try.

Doc Joe <><

I have a bailey deairing pugmill. I wouldn't dream of putting paperclay through it. The fibers would clog up the deairing screen. I mix paperclay in a soldner mixer. I have previously prepared grapefruit size dried balls of paper pulp. They go into the water in the bottom of the mixer and break down into the water. After they are dissolved, I start adding my powder for the clay recipe. I like to use about 15-20% paper pulp:dried clay.

If I am mixing smaller quantities, like a 5 gallon bucket, I mix slurry and pour onto plaster slabs.

Cellulose also works very well. You can buy a parcel of it at Home Depot in the insulation dept. for about $12. it will last a long time.

Marcia

I hope this winter to start working on an outdoor fountian and plant to use a whie stoneware clay. I want to turn the stoneware into paper clay and planned to just mis the paper pupl into the clay in my Peter PUgger. Will this work? Help anyone!

Paperclay will not clog up a Peter Pugger. I've run several batches through mine.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Run your premasured paper and some of your premasured water through a Food processor along with a little of your masured clay. Then load the pulp as you would for a wet clay mix and the rest of your water and clay mix. Run it just as you would for any other clay you mix from dry mix. Works for me. I like my peter pugger. I get food processors at Thrift Stores if they don't have one in stock ask them to let you know when one comes in.

I mix my pulp with a propeller type beater on a shaft attached to a 1/4 horsepower motor. That is supported on a stand to accommodate a 5 gallon bucket.

I have used linter paper, newspaper, shredded office paper and cellulose. After soaking and running it my machine, I strain it through fiberglass window screen on a frame and squeeze it into balls for storage. When making a batch of clay in my Soldner mixer, I weigh out everything in buckets. I rehydrate the paper pulp and put that in water into the mixer first. Then start adding the ingredients.

When recycling porcelain scraps, I use the machine for the slip and add the pulp..making 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket and drying that onto plaster bats.

The Peter Pugger without a deairing screen should work ok but I wonder if it chops up the paper fibers. Probably not significantly .

Marcia

Archived