#1 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Since it's been a pretty slow week here on the forum, I thought I'd post some eye candy to keep you all busy. On my blog HERE you can see photos of the soda kiln Doug Jeppesen and I built a couple of weekends ago at Lillstreet Art Center in Chicago. We knocked it out in about 30 hours over 3 days, from scratch. The interior of the kiln is all hard brick, with soft brick used wherever possible on the exterior.

Doug and I had built the previous kiln, too, which lasted 3 1/2 years, and new record at Lill. They tend to go through soda kilns pretty quickly. When we started on the previous version, we found that the kiln was supported on a metal framework that attempted to level the kiln since the concrete floor was really out of whack. The frame was not ideal, but due to time constraints we had to use it. This time, since we knew what we were getting into, we made them toss the frame and pour a level concrete slab. This should be their longest lasting soda kiln yet. The first firing is this weekend.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#2 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Nice looking kiln and good craftsmanship. Good luck with the first firing.

#3 Kristin_Gail

Kristin_Gail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

Oooooooooh. Thank you!

#4 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is like smelling popcorn with new braces on: it whets the appetite without satisfying the real hunger! Nice work. Show us some pics from the first soda firing. Some of us live vicariously on others' projects.

Jed

#5 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Nice looking kiln. I love building arches on kilns! Thanks for posting. It has been slow indeed!

Marcia

#6 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:58 AM

I have a dream.....
To one day own a kiln with arches.........

Marcia check out this video.......you know what i was thinking about.....

Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#7 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

Thanks, all. Unfortunately, I don't ever get to actually fire the kiln. I'm just the builder. I did stop by there yesterday though, and saw a few of the pots from the first firing. They looked great, and the kiln fired just like the old one, so all is good. More importantly, the kiln looked good. Nothing moved. Next I'm going to rebuild the burner system to give it better control, and (hopefully) efficiency.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#8 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:37 AM

I noticed you were in Greeley about the same time I was in Fort Morgan. My father-in-law gave me directions to go from Wyoming to Fort Morgan: Go south until you smell it, then turn east until you step in it. Then you will be in Fort Morgan.

It seems kind of unfair. You build them but don't fire then--- kilns that is. I would make it a new policy. The first pot in the new kiln is one of yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users