Repairing Glaze Fired Pieces

since it is a gift not only to your son but also his bride, i would suggest privately giving them the broken one with a note that you intend to make one for them in the color and size they choose.  that is,  if time is short and you do not have a chance to make a new one.

A beautiful, handmade gift to the couple is a great idea, but there's really no way to repair something like this. Even if repaired, it will not have the "ring" of an uncracked piece and it will likely be structurally weaker.

Also, if they are going to display it in their home, you'll want it to be the best representation of your artistry that it can be.

It's better to make another piece, and you can say that you are making them a special gift that isn't quite ready yet. I am sure they'd rather have an uncracked gift late, than a repaired gift on time...

So sorry, but I have to agree with those who say no.

Don't just make one more however, make two ... Or three ..... And give them the best one.

I agree with the others--make a duplicate gift. However, there may be times when you want to repair a broken piece, such as a gift that you received. I have a small Mel Jacobson mug that arrived in the mail with a broken handle. I repaired it, and the seam in the handle is now barely visible. It is a display piece. Try using E6000 for repairs. Apply the glue to both halves of the part. Wait a moment, and then press the pieces together. Hold them with rubber bands until the glue dries.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonwe

b.com

Archived