Photo
- - - - -

Help With Firing A Snf82 Paragaon Kiln (Again)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AWPottery

AWPottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

You guys were helpful last time in my last post about firing my Paragon SNF82 kiln, but I feel like I'm still doing something wrong.  I've been testing glazes about cone 06  and following the instructions silkscreened on the kiln it fires to that temperature in about 4 hours.  I feel like this is not long enough and I  lengthened the firing time by adjusting the second nob on this kiln and was able to get it to fire for 6 hours.  My kiln has two knobs- the top an infinite control and the second a switch timer.  Again, 6 hours does not seem long enough to me.  I always thought it took about 8-10 hours to fire to around cone 06.  Or does the size of the kiln matter?  Mine kiln is smaller.  The cone in the cone sitter each time shows that it has reached temperature because it is bent properly but I just thought everything was supposed to fire longer and my pieces do seem very fragile and underfired.    Plus with the test glazes I keep getting pinholing which I read is a sign of underfiring.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm just not sure if I'm operating this kiln properly as it's very new to me.  Thanks.

#2 Arnold Howard

Arnold Howard

Graduate, School of Life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

My kiln has two knobs- the top an infinite control and the second a switch timer.  Again, 6 hours does not seem long enough to me.  I always thought it took about 8-10 hours to fire to around cone 06.  Or does the size of the kiln matter?  Mine kiln is smaller.  The cone in the cone sitter each time shows that it has reached temperature because it is bent properly but I just thought everything was supposed to fire longer and my pieces do seem very fragile and underfired.    Plus with the test glazes I keep getting pinholing which I read is a sign of underfiring.  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm just not sure if I'm operating this kiln properly as it's very new to me.  Thanks.

To increase the firing time, add more hours to the second knob. You might even experiment by reducing the setting on the first knob just a little. It is wonderful that your kiln fires so rapidly. It is far easier to slow down a fast kiln than to speed up a slow one!

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

#3 AWPottery

AWPottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Arnold, thank you again for your help   However, I am just wondering is it that normal for this particular type of kiln to take only 4 hours to glaze fire to cone 06?  That's why I am trying to extend the firing time because I keep thinking that it is supposed to take longer to fire.  Also, what about a bisque firing to cone 04?  Roughly, how long should that take?  I thought that it needed to be fired for about 8-10 hours to make sure all the carbon and chemicals broke down in the clay.  The few times I've done bisque firings in the kiln I feel like the pieces were underfired; they just seemed a bit chalky (porcelain) and fragile.

#4 Arnold Howard

Arnold Howard

Graduate, School of Life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas USA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Arnold, thank you again for your help   However, I am just wondering is it that normal for this particular type of kiln to take only 4 hours to glaze fire to cone 06?  That's why I am trying to extend the firing time because I keep thinking that it is supposed to take longer to fire.  Also, what about a bisque firing to cone 04?  Roughly, how long should that take?  I thought that it needed to be fired for about 8-10 hours to make sure all the carbon and chemicals broke down in the clay.  The few times I've done bisque firings in the kiln I feel like the pieces were underfired; they just seemed a bit chalky (porcelain) and fragile.

Four hours is very fast for a bisque firing. You're right. The ideal firing speed is determined by the thickness and type of clay and the amount of impurities that need to be burned off. The silk-screened settings that are giving you a 4-hour firing may have been meant for thin-walled, poured ceramics rather than thrown pottery. This is why you should adjust the firing schedule to meet your needs. The settings silk-screened onto the switch box are general guidelines.

You might try doubling the firing speed to 8 hours. Put extra time on the bottom switch.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users