Coloured Slip Onto Glazed Piece ?

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, as I've only used a limited amount of products, but from my experience you do not use colored slips/ underglaze over glaze.

The results I have seen, cause the underglaze to look "foamy", and generally look terrible. 

Of course, if you used a low fire underglaze, it would melt at high fire temperatures, so in that case it might work.

I imagine it would depend upon the slip composition.  I have used commercial and home mixed underglazes on fired pieces successfully - the trick is getting the underglaze to stay by coating the piece with dilute Elmer's glue or by warming - and refiring to the original glaze temperature (cone 6 in my case).  If the slip is all or almost all clay I would not expect it to work, but some slips approach being underglazes in their composition, with feldspars and fluxes added.

I have recently taken up on-glaze painting (china painting) and find this a much quicker and easier way of recovering from booboos.

Slip is clay, and so it must follow the same rules of attachment as any other clay- nothing harder than leather hard. If you trail slip onto glaze fired, bisqued, or bone dry work, it will flake off as it dries. Underglazes are a completely different animal, and are formulated to work on leather hard, bone dry or bisque. They may very well work on glazed pots, too.

Archived