Wheel Head

I'm looking for a new wheel head, for one of my classroom wheels.  It is an Amaco Number 1.  I've looked in a dozen places, and the only thing I've really been able to find, is the recessed wheel heads, which is what I currently have and really dislike. 

I looked on some of the auction and surplus sites, but no luck yet.

• 1 month later...

So after dragging my feet, and searching in many different places with no luck, I finally contacted Amaco.  They do make a flat wheel head, for the wheel, but they are out of those, for my axle size, and are not currently producing them. 

They will contact me, once they restart production, but have no idea when that is.

I guess I'll keep looking. 

In the mean time, if anyone comes across a flat wheel head for a Amaco Number 1 wheel, that fits a 5/8" axle, give me a holler. 

Mark's solution seems good to me. At the same time if your district has a vo tech as most do after dropping shop classes, I would check with them. They may be able to manufacture something for you, or make recommendations on what to purchase that they could modify as Mark says. If you fiind one with too large a hole a collet insert could be made.

A machine shop can put in an insert and drill that out to whatever you need-most wheel heads are aluminum which work well with inserts.

Mark

Ah, got ya. I'll check with my Industrial Tech Department, yes Pres we are lucky enough to still have one, and seen what they can do. Otherwise, there is a machine shop a block from my house.

An all aluminum head can gave have heli coil installed in shft hole then drill out whatever hole size is needed-The drill has to be a perfect 90 degrees  to head plane.

Any machine shop can do this-

I will go measure my brent wheel head banding wheel made from old head for shaft size diameters-back with that soon-need to mix some glazes today anyway.

Mark

I measured my old Brent 14 inch  (from the 70s) wheel head converted to a Banding wheel.

The old Brent shaft is 5/8th exactly what you are looking for.I have not measures a newer Brent shaft-they may be bigger-I recall that that may be the case.

How about calling Amaco/Brent and talking to the Brent technical about a 5/8 wheel head

The brents are held in with a roll pin ponded in and never removed except drilling them out as they are at an angle

You could drill a new hole at a 90  in the head and get a roll pin from brent as well for the new head you order?

Options many options.

Mark

Archived