Building A Wallmount Extruder

I'm in the process of setting up my studio and have maintained a desire to have and use a sufficient sized extruder for years. I have leftover PVC Waste Water Pipes (110mm or about 4.4" i.d.) and end connections from remodeling the house and was curious if anybody has ever built an extruder barrel with these type of items. Any and all input on building an extruder would be greatly appreciated! biggrin.gif

check out this link i found awhile back - http://www.northmain...om/2015862.html

i ended up just buying one online instead of taking the time to build one, but this is the one i was planning on building at one time. (decided there were too many other things to be built in my studio and found a good deal on a new one)

Thanks...MuddyMomma... wink.gif

That's looks about like the item I had envisioned. Will probably start putting it together within the next month, need to find some

scrap parts that will keep the price down.

I built a bumper jack wall mount extruder from some plans in Ceramics Monthly about ten years ago. I don't remember if the plans called for PVC pipe or if I decided to use it. The pipe I used is only 3" and it seemed to twist when it was under a lot of pressure. I ground off the inside ridge of 2 coupling so it would go completely on to the pipe, then glued the couplings on as support to get it from twisting. I put one coupling at the top the other at the bottom. I found some solid aluminum core at a metal yard that was a tight fit inside of my pipe. My son had a friend that owned a machine shop, so they beveled the ends to soften the edge and drilled a recessed area for the bumper jack end.

It has worked just fine for me but the largest thing I ever extruded was tile molding.

Denice (Wichita, KS)

I built a bumper jack wall mount extruder from some plans in Ceramics Monthly about ten years ago. I don't remember if the plans called for PVC pipe or if I decided to use it. The pipe I used is only 3" and it seemed to twist when it was under a lot of pressure. I ground off the inside ridge of 2 coupling so it would go completely on to the pipe, then glued the couplings on as support to get it from twisting. I put one coupling at the top the other at the bottom. I found some solid aluminum core at a metal yard that was a tight fit inside of my pipe. My son had a friend that owned a machine shop, so they beveled the ends to soften the edge and drilled a recessed area for the bumper jack end.

It has worked just fine for me but the largest thing I ever extruded was tile molding.

Denice (Wichita, KS)

Thanks Denice... tile molding is one thing that I need to make lots of (initially) for this house. As much as I liked to scavange for reuseable materials back in the states I'm finding it much more difficult to do the same here in Sweden. Seems everything is recycled and the recycling centers have rules about things not leaving their facility once they're dropped off. Real shame as I see such incredible stuff (lot of it in really good condition as well). So us scavengers in this society are becoming an endangered species. ...surprisingly nothing much to do directly with the global warming...biggrin.gif

...and thanks AndyL... I've been contemplating getting the book, but that will probably happen at a later time, though!

Denice (Wichita, KS)

Thanks Denice... tile molding is one thing that I need to make lots of (initially) for this house. As much as I liked to scavange for reuseable materials back in the states I'm finding it much more difficult to do the same here in Sweden. Seems everything is recycled and the recycling centers have rules about things not leaving their facility once they're dropped off. Real shame as I see such incredible stuff (lot of it in really good condition as well). So us scavengers in this society are becoming an endangered species. ...surprisingly nothing much to do directly with the global warming...biggrin.gif

...and thanks AndyL... I've been contemplating getting the book, but that will probably happen at a later time, though!

Hey AmeriSwede I read your reply and wanted to let you know that the extruder is fantastic for making molding. Very little warping and you can press out as much as you want. I am in the middle of making a 9' by 5' talavera tile fountain and am working on a fairly complicated die for molding around the outer edge, I"m firing the spills tomorrow and have made 400 tiles that are waiting to be glazed once I complete the molding. Your right about the salvages and closeout stores, we even scour them when were on vacation in another states. My husband told me that my extruders bumper jack is wearing out so I guess will be hitting the auto salvages this weekend.

Denice (Wichita, KS)

Denice (Wichita, KS)

Hey AmeriSwede I read your reply and wanted to let you know that the extruder is fantastic for making molding. Very little warping and you can press out as much as you want. I am in the middle of making a 9' by 5' talavera tile fountain and am working on a fairly complicated die for molding around the outer edge, I"m firing the spills tomorrow and have made 400 tiles that are waiting to be glazed once I complete the molding. Your right about the salvages and closeout stores, we even scour them when were on vacation in another states. My husband told me that my extruders bumper jack is wearing out so I guess will be hitting the auto salvages this weekend.

Denice (Wichita, KS)

Good to hear that... I have many, many border tiles to make to finish up my bathroom and kitchen and also will be making some to cover a wood 'floating floor' system near a tiled area of the entrance way and under the wood stove. I figured that it would be much faster to extrude them than to build by hand. Glad to hear that it works so well.

Archived