12 Inch Club

I use the side of my finger/ side knuckle... is that the same thing?

When I think of using a "Knuckle" to pull, I think of bending the tip of the finger back, and using the big knuckle as the point.  When I use the side of my finger, I keep my finger straight, and use the edge of it.  Most of the pressure is still on my knuckle, but I can still feel the clay better, than using the knuckle alone. 

Also, in regards to the flaring problem, I always tell my students, to give their cylinder a slight inward cone shape.  This helps counter the motion of the wheel, which really wants to make your cylinders into bowls.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Levo- I always get super relaxed watching videos of great potters. Yours was soothing. Thank you for posting.  Does he get bonus points for using porcelain? 

Benzine- so I think i use "side knuckle" after your description.  It is a great lesson to videotape myself pulling up (even if it was one of my worst pottery making experiences caught on camera) There is so much to be learned by watching it and getting advice from teachers such as yourself.  I need to remember to move inward. 

NICE!!! Welcome to the club! You will receive your membership card and password in the mail within the week.

Thanks!  I've already fashioned myself a hickory rod for beating away the hordes of admirers as I leave my house tomorrow.

There's really no good way to prepare for this kind of fame. Best to get an unlisted number and leave town for a few months.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello everyone, my name is Rich and I'm new to pottery (about a month and a half now since I bought a wheel...it only took 1 time on a friend's wheel for me to catch the bug). I've been reading through the forums and I'm glad I've found this one. I have not done 12inches with 3# but I'm nearly there. I've done 10inches with 3# and a bottom, so I'm getting there. Thank you all for the knowledge you share. It's been a tremendous help!

Rich

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Babs said:

Joining the elite!

Go Liam ,take heed of need to remain obscure re results of fame...   

I've got 50 lbs of recycled clay sitting at home, half of it is probably too soft, but I think the other half is probably throwable... We will find out tonight!

4 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

@liambesaw Stiffer clay is key. I destroyed the first couple I did because the clay was too soft. It just can't handle the aggressive pulling when it's soft.

Yeah that's probably the ticket.  I made them into male and female forms for fun if they're dried out a bit tonight I'll wedge them back down and try again.  I have 20 mugs needing trimming and handles, so if I have time tonight and the clay is in the mood, I'll try it out again.  Pretty fun, but I have to control myself when using recycled clay. For some reason I'm more reckless when using reclaim.

I tried 4 times last night and didn't even hit 11 inches, even with lots of pulls, my clay is nice and soft. I don't like throwing with stiff clay, but looks like I will have to use some drier stuff to get those super tall, skinny cylinders for my wife.

I throw tall cylinders by pulling up to the height that will no deform.  

move to the next ball of clay and do the same,

repeat for half an hour or so, stand up, stretch, and then

take the first cylinder,  that now has had some time to stiffen, and pull it up higher, thinning the wall,  and move down the line. 

Works for me.  use the same idea when making thin walled bowls.  

Just now, Magnolia Mud Research said:

I throw tall cylinders by pulling up to the height that will no deform.  

move to the next ball of clay and do the same,

repeat for half an hour or so, stand up, stretch, and then

take the first cylinder,  that now has had some time to stiffen, and pull it up higher, thinning the wall,  and move down the line. 

Works for me.  use the same idea when making thin walled bowls.  

against the rules!

• 1 month later...

Archived