I use the side of my finger/ side knuckle... is that the same thing?

When I think of using a "Knuckle" to pull, I think of bending the tip of the finger back, and using the big knuckle as the point.  When I use the side of my finger, I keep my finger straight, and use the edge of it.  Most of the pressure is still on my knuckle, but I can still feel the clay better, than using the knuckle alone. 

Also, in regards to the flaring problem, I always tell my students, to give their cylinder a slight inward cone shape.  This helps counter the motion of the wheel, which really wants to make your cylinders into bowls.

Levo- I always get super relaxed watching videos of great potters. Yours was soothing. Thank you for posting.  Does he get bonus points for using porcelain? 

Benzine- so I think i use "side knuckle" after your description.  It is a great lesson to videotape myself pulling up (even if it was one of my worst pottery making experiences caught on camera) There is so much to be learned by watching it and getting advice from teachers such as yourself.  I need to remember to move inward. 

NICE!!! Welcome to the club! You will receive your membership card and password in the mail within the week.

Thanks!  I've already fashioned myself a hickory rod for beating away the hordes of admirers as I leave my house tomorrow.  

NICE!!! Welcome to the club! You will receive your membership card and password in the mail within the week.

Thanks!  I've already fashioned myself a hickory rod for beating away the hordes of admirers as I leave my house tomorrow.

There's really no good way to prepare for this kind of fame. Best to get an unlisted number and leave town for a few months.

Hello everyone, my name is Rich and I'm new to pottery (about a month and a half now since I bought a wheel...it only took 1 time on a friend's wheel for me to catch the bug). I've been reading through the forums and I'm glad I've found this one. I have not done 12inches with 3# but I'm nearly there. I've done 10inches with 3# and a bottom, so I'm getting there. Thank you all for the knowledge you share. It's been a tremendous help!

Rich