12 Inch Club

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, I made an attempt at this just to see how much more I have to go- I tried once, 2 pulls, and 10 inches.  I pulled it up too aggressively and so it was too thin in the center and very thick at top so I didn't dare attempt a 3rd pull.  I am pretty proud of myself for that since I consider myself one of the lesser experienced potters here. 

Cheers Brian.

Now I feel like getting me ass back to the studio and giving it a second try. I missed me first one by 7/8 of your funky measurement units.

BTW, we started a local chapter of 12" (30.48 cm) club.

Leather jackets, fast bikes and wild parties at anagama kiln. You know... potters usual.

Thanks Brian, your wheel was spinning fast!!, Your clay was super soft!!! Great go!

Can't stand photos, don't do videos, but I am working on the project, my xmas present to myself, and my New Years resolution. Prob wont show results because of above, but I will know, that's one person I cannot fool.

Mart.. 30.48cms sounds a lot taller, I'm gonna aim for that.

Neil, self taught here, I keep watching your video just to see you throw, ever grateful. Such clarity and efficiency in movement. Blown away!

Don't worry Brian- My blooper is much more comical ;) I have only been throwing for a year and a half, this one got to 9 inches, I was going too fast and I also have a nasty habit of things flaring outward when I pull up. I keep trying to correct the problem. Here is my blooper.  (just remember video cameras add about 10-20 lbs on women ;)

Don't worry Brian- My blooper is much more comical ;) I have only been throwing for a year and a half, this one got to 9 inches, I was going too fast and I also have a nasty habit of things flaring outward when I pull up. I keep trying to correct the problem. Here is my blooper.  (just remember video cameras add about 10-20 lbs on women ;) )

Regarding flaring, compare the position of your arm inside the pot to Neil's arm position. Your's is slanted; his is more vertical.

Guest JBaymore

Thanks! I can totally see that now. I think I was so nervous about videotaping myself that I threw like complete s(^#(*   :)

Are you pulling with your knuckle? You will find you have more control and greater sensitivity if you use the pad of your finger.

Amen, and amen, and amen!

Knuckle can certainly be used for "power moves"........ like in the early stages when thowing 25-50 pounds or more.  But on 3 pounds.......... gains you nothing and loses you a lot.

best,

....................john

Thanks! I can totally see that now. I think I was so nervous about videotaping myself that I threw like complete s(^#(*   :)

Are you pulling with your knuckle? You will find you have more control and greater sensitivity if you use the pad of your finger.

Amen, and amen, and amen!

Knuckle can certainly be used for "power moves"........ like in the early stages when thowing 25-50 pounds or more.  But on 3 pounds.......... gains you nothing and loses you a lot.

best,

....................john

best,

...................john

I fully agree. I throw mostly small to medium forms, and that's really all the further my students get. So while I teach them about using a knuckle, I recommend using a fingertip or side of the finger, because of the greater feeling it allows.

Don't worry Brian- My blooper is much more comical ;) I have only been throwing for a year and a half, this one got to 9 inches, I was going too fast and I also have a nasty habit of things flaring outward when I pull up. I keep trying to correct the problem. Here is my blooper.  (just remember video cameras add about 10-20 lbs on women ;)

your issues look similar to what i was experiencing about a month ago. i figured out that i was using  uneven pressure between my inside and outside hands. plus if pull inward on your first pull it also helps

Archived