12 Inch Club

ok get you minds out of the gutter

here is the deal

it was from original post by jbcox  that has been since censored.

3 # of clay

pull a cylinder in 3 pulls

cylinder must be 12 inches tall

must be made exclusively on wheel

clay cannot be dried  eg blow torch or heat gun

picture of cylinder with ruler get you in club

you will be an official fire breather.

there will be a kid club level if you can do it in more than 3 pulls.

ive heard of this before

its something of an urban myth

lets see who can do it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 pounds of clay 12 inch cylinder or whatever.

jbcox originally posted.... regarding above...... to which i replied sarcastically, but not disrespectful way it was a play on words collage, college, decoupage, montage, photo montage, digital montage………

it was a friendly ribbing. yes i was yanking his chain on spelling but it was a cool and artistic mis-spelling. i thought was a artistic (Freudian) slip, in a very good way.

I did however reply to information in post.

Celia from some where in the uk did like it. posted something regarding her disdain.  for me ribbing (pottery humor) jbcox.    I was penning a witty a response.  celia please ffeell freee two spell check mi pots anytmie.

a little ribbing is sign of bonding, and acceptance in many modern cultures

blowing hot air is just that, hot air

as artists and/or craftspersons we have to have thick skin,   and be bold in our statements to be good at what we do.    other wise wear biege become a cog in the boring uninspired, and live in non relevant world.

Only to find big brother has censored and deleted whole post.

i wonder what else happened after i read it at lunch

at my last read   koahku tried and failed.

i too tried today and failed miserably.  i think i got 8.5

its sounds like a good exercise

or is it an urban myth.

my tips  

pull as dry as possible

slip covered hands vs water

since i have big hands i will attempt to use a stick

i used grogged clay,   may grog it up a bit more.

use gradual pulls,  to thin too early is deadly

if any one else has tips please post

ill try again on monday.

Guest JBaymore

The missing piece of information here that makes this "test" at all applicable for comparisons is to set the DIAMETER (either interior or exterior) of the cylinder out of 3 lbs of clay.

The smaller the diameter... the thicker the walls can be to get the 12" height.

best,

.....................john

The missing piece of information here that makes this "test" at all applicable for comparisons is to set the DIAMETER (either interior or exterior) of the cylinder out of 3 lbs of clay.

The smaller the diameter... the thicker the walls can be to get the 12" height.

best,

.....................john

Excellent point, since an increase in diameter causes a corresponding squaring of the volume of clay needed.

Jed

I used to not allow students to keep pieces until they could throw 9" with 3 lb. So 12' with 3 lb sounds doable. I don't know if I could do it in 3 pulls but will have to try it to see. To me it is obvious to start with stiff clay, well aged. Others may take a different approach, but I would center, open, take first pull. walk away, then come back and pull next two with dry hands and pointer and thumb only-the way I pull.

I used to not allow students to keep pieces until they could throw 9" with 3 lb. So 12' with 3 lb sounds doable. I don't know if I could do it in 3 pulls but will have to try it to see. To me it is obvious to start with stiff clay, well aged. Others may take a different approach, but I would center, open, take first pull. walk away, then come back and pull next two with dry hands and pointer and thumb only-the way I pull.

We had to throw a ten inch cylinder, in collge, before we could move on.  I don't recall how much clay we were allowed to use.  I got it done, but it was not pretty.

I do not require anything like that, of my students.  I just don't have the time, with everything else.

I set that requirement up as it forced them to work towards quality, not quantity. At the same time for the first MP they got an A if they worked diligently on the wheel every day except when preparing clay. They did not have to make a piece, just attempt to throw the cylinder. 90% of the students were able to completed the cylinder and throw pieces the second MP. The benchmark for the 1stMP was a 9 inch in 2 tries.

I set that requirement up as it forced them to work towards quality, not quantity. At the same time for the first MP they got an A if they worked diligently on the wheel every day except when preparing clay. They did not have to make a piece, just attempt to throw the cylinder. 90% of the students were able to completed the cylinder and throw pieces the second MP. The benchmark for the 1stMP was a 9 inch in 2 tries.

We've talked aboutt his in the past, but didn't you have two Ceramics classes?

Ok original post was withdrawn not censored.

Ok new rules....

3 pounds 12 inch high

Any circumference, more than three pulls must be noted, all on wheel gets you in the club

Ok you old pros...... Talk is cheap...... Show me the money!!!! ( picture with ruler)

Your students work is also welcome....

12 inches any way wheel built 3 pounds.

Extra points for hands only.

Extra points for 3 pulls.

This is a democratic society, any one suggest ....rules.

But keeping it simple works

We could always complicate it later

Post some pics

Failures included......

Ps I'm trying a throwing stick tommorow. I wear size 8.5 gloves !!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On first thought I figured it would be easy.  3 lbs, 3 pulls, 12 inches.  However in practice it was harder that I thought.  I even made a video as evidence that I could do it..ha ha.  I tried 4 times, with porcelain first and then stoneware, and all 4 times were a failure.  I got closer with porcelain, where I was at over 11", but not quite there.  I tried the narrow base method, and the wide base method, but could not quite get there.  It was fun trying and with a few more attempts I am sure I could do it. 

thanks for the side track and the challenge!

I now have footage for my blooper reel for my you tube channel!

Missed by 7/8... oh well, maybe I get lucky next time.

Do I understand correctly:

- no sponge,

- You can not take your hands off in the middle of the pull and continue from there as a same pull.

- result must be "usable" as a huge beer mug or something :)

- no tools (like ribs etc)

At least this is how I attempted to do

Missed by 7/8... oh well, maybe I get lucky next time.

Do I understand correctly:

- no sponge,

- You can not take your hands off in the middle of the pull and continue from there as a same pull.

- result must be "usable" as a huge beer mug or something :)

- no tools (like ribs etc)

At least this is how I attempted to do

I don't see any restrictions on sponges or tools. The challenge was just to not let it dry out / firm up (either by waiting or by torching) as far as I know. People have been using throwing sticks, for example. Seems legit to me! :-) [And still really hard!]

Archived