How Much Can A Production Potter Throw?

One of the strands here was about throwing a 12" cylinder using 3# of clay. I goofed by saying nine, as I told my students their goal before keeping anything was 9" of 3#. Challenge is here:

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/topic/4793-12-inch-club/

The other part of the challenge, as that is the way it was stated was to do this in 3 pulls.  So I meant that you could probably do the challenge in two pulls.  I'm going to try it someday just for the fun of it. I used to demonstrate to the students after making the requirement. I could throw many inches over the required 9" but don't remember how much more. I think I would take more than 3 pulls though.

One of the strands here was about throwing a 12" cylinder using 3# of clay. I goofed by saying nine, as I told my students their goal before keeping anything was 9" of 3#. Challenge is here:

The other part of the challenge, as that is the way it was stated was to do this in 3 pulls.  So I meant that you could probably do the challenge in two pulls.  I'm going to try it someday just for the fun of it. I used to demonstrate to the students after making the requirement. I could throw many inches over the required 9" but don't remember how much more. I think I would take more than 3 pulls though.

Ha, I tried the twelve inch challenge the other day.  I failed.  After three pulls, I only got it to seven inches.  I wasn't thinking, and made it too wide, and left too much clay on the bottom, out of my habbit of leaving enough to trim a foot.

On the plus side, I tried some altering techniques on the cylinder, that turned out nice, which I applied to another project.

Yedrow, I too love your handles, good stuff.

Neil, you're a madman.  With my throwing, the times would be reversed.  It would take me fifteen minutes to throw the four pound plate(s), and two minutes to throw the thirty pound planters, because I would be exhausted after the two minutes, and give up.

I like challenges. When I was younger I played foosball for money. I got 9.5 inches in two pulls and just a squeak under 12 in three. If I did a few with that purpose in mind I'm certain I could get up around 13" or maybe a little more. I torqued this one about half-way up (trying too hard) and that cost me a little height.

Thanks for pointing that out, it was fun.

Joel.

a fair bit theoretically if provided with clay and not required to finish off the work .

I work as a production potter in Australia but here I'm finishing as well , in the above situation average day was 50 x 7 kg water pots or way back three hundred mugs , it's a bit of an illusion however because RSI usually catches up with you if full time

a fair bit theoretically if provided with clay and not required to finish off the work .

I work as a production potter in Australia but here I'm finishing as well , in the above situation average day was 50 x 7 kg water pots or way back three hundred mugs , it's a bit of an illusion however because RSI usually catches up with you if full time

Allow me to be a little irreverent......How much clay could a clay potter pot, if a clay potter could pot clay? I have been following this tread for while and every time I see the topic's title, I can't get a nursery rhyme out of my head.

Jed

• 6 months later...

at a local pottery around here they expect 200 mugs/day. This can be done as fast or slow as you want, as long as you are finished by 6pm. They have very strict standards too which slows down production a bit. This does not include handles and wedging too, just throwing. Someone else wedges the clay and someone else cuts it. Very production-line style. 

Back when throwing for Penn State  festival, I figured $300 a day. I usually started in April, ended in July. I liked to have 10k to do the show. Remembering that I taught HS full time, and had a family. Tough to do, but can be done. Now days, when i am ambitious I can go through two hundred lb n a day of throwing plates, chalice, mugs and bowls. Usually a b9X14 ware board of each.

Always start with an idea, and by the 5th or 6th have refined, slop the first 5, and continue on.

The Peoria area has an event on the first fri of every month.  All the little art studios in the artist district downtown have an open house to invite people in to tour the studios etc.   The pottery studio I attend classes at had one of the area professional potters in to throw as demonstration  He was throwing mostly 5-8# pieces,  several bowls, mostly closed in forms and pitchers etc.   He had only brought 100lbs with him and had thrown all of it in the first 2 hrs.   He said he was sad he didnt bring another 100. 

Archived