• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pnutbrand

Pnutbrand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the type of cement to use to make a new kiln lid. Have been searching but haven't found anything that's made for lids, most cements I have found say not to use on lids. I am in the process of making a new gas kiln and would like to cement this one instead of drilling and cinching with all thread as I did on the last kiln. I have some amaco kiln cement, would this work? Will be firing mostly to cone 5-6 with an occasional cone 10.

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

I think that any kiln lid you construct will have to have some form of compression support at the circumference. Over the years I do not recall ever seeing in books or studios a lid without some form of external support-angle iron and threaded bars etc. I would check the library on kiln construction if you haven't already.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#3 timbo_heff

timbo_heff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMA / NY

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Do you mean mortar when you say cement?

Derby 3000 is great brick to brick: use thin. Very Very strong::

http://www.sheffield...r-p/lvmd315.htm

#4 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Is this a typical front loading gas kiln? If so, just build an arch. It's just as quick and infinitely stronger. I wouldn't trust mortar to hold together the top of a kiln that is any more than 28 inches across. Give us some more info about the kiln. Size, shape, wall thickness, materials, etc.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#5 Arnold Howard

Arnold Howard

Graduate, School of Life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas USA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Is this a typical front loading gas kiln? If so, just build an arch. It's just as quick and infinitely stronger. I wouldn't trust mortar to hold together the top of a kiln that is any more than 28 inches across. Give us some more info about the kiln. Size, shape, wall thickness, materials, etc.

Arches are elegant and very strong. We use that design on larger kilns. Should you decide to make a flat top, here is a video that shows how to cement the bricks together. As you will see, making a lid is an art form. The people who cement lids for a living are as skilled as brick layers. Note that the bricks are not sprayed with water, because the cement is applied very rapidly to the bricks. The long pan is essential.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

#6 Pnutbrand

Pnutbrand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the replies. The kiln is going to be top loading square kiln, 36" square outside with 4.5" wall thickness giving it 27" square inside. Using 9x3x4.5" 2600 IFB with a hard brick around the gas ports to prevent damaging soft bricks. It will have 2 intake ports and a downdraft exhaust. Will be using propane as a fuel source. And yes I reckon I do mean mortar instead of cement. Was also considering making it a two piece lid for weight purposes. Ill be lifting on and off most likely unless I decide to fabricate a hinge system.

#7 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Not sure where you live but the right cement can be had from Hi-Temp in Portland Or, it comes in 5 gallon buckets and can be shipped-they make it themselves on site-I have used the super 33 for gluing bricks but they have another made for skutt kilns that would be a better choice.Call them and talk to them-they are not a potters supply  business but will sell you a tub.Ask for Jeff

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#8 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

I would also look at adding a layer of fiber board to the outside of the kiln to increase the insulation value and tightness.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#9 Pnutbrand

Pnutbrand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

I would also look at adding a layer of fiber board to the outside of the kiln to increase the insulation value and tightness.

I considered that. At the moment it has a sheet metal covering inside a welded angle iron frame.

#10 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

fascinating video, arnold, thanks. good thing i don't live closer, makes me want to sneak into the building after hours.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#11 perkolator

perkolator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

is Sairset the refractory material used on most kiln lid coatings?

#12 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:21 AM

I need to build a new kiln lid, flat type with sheet metal round the outside bolted into tension. This is more a reminder to myself to watch the video as I can't seem to watch it at work.

Just one question, kiln cement/mortar doesn't need firing for it to work? Anybody in the UK know of a good make/type?

#13 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:42 AM

Just one question, kiln cement/mortar doesn't need firing for it to work? Anybody in the UK know of a good make/type?

. Suggest you buy from a kiln builder - Pottery crafts? Potclays, ......

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kiln, lid, cement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users