210 New Kings Road, London SW has seen a very long history of different ceramic manufacturers.
The 1975 redevelopment of the site preserved a bottle kiln.
Starting with John Dwight who invented a semi-translucent stoneware, followed by his reinvention of salt-firing, and finally lathe-turned greenware.
Fortunately he made beautiful ceramic busts and other artwork in addition to functional ware because in spite of a series of legal battles with 19 other potters, his secrets spread quickly. Others used his techniques to create a prosperous ceramics industry in Staffordshire. In contrast his heirs filed for bankruptcy. In 1759 with the last member of John Dwight's family committed suicide in the studio counting house.
Other ceramic firms operated in turn on the site, defending against legal complaints for smoke emission, until Fulham & Cheavin Pottery took over the site in 1900 to make ceramic filters and jugs, and later a line of porcelain vases. Today it's an office block built next to a decorative antique kiln.
To find a working kiln today you need to get off at the next Underground stop, Parsons Green, and go to the Fulham Pottery Café next to the Fulham Library. http://www.pottery-c...m-pottery-cafe/