Meat Grinder As Pugmill?

Phil J

I use a pillow case.  The opening in the pillow case fits over the top of a five gallon bucket.  One for red, one for white.  If I want to speed the drying I lay the bag of clay in a dish tub with a fan on it.  It is so humid here now that if I cover anything it won't dry at all.  I have to play the game of on plastic, off plastic, rotate left, rotate right.  If I want anything to get dry enough to trim.  I have never had handles crack and have had three crack in the past week.  Oh, the pain.... When the recycled clay is just dry enough to handle I wedge.  Super easy when so soft.  Then rebag in original bags if not throwing the next day.

• 2 months later...

FYI Be careful with the electric drill paddle. It can shave small bits of plastic from the bucket, and then thoroughly incorporate them into your clay. Thoroughly. Not that this has happened to me...

The wise advice of "letting the water do its job" will work if you have used a framed screen on top of the bucket. I would also advise reconstituting dry bits by soaking first, then putting through screen to bucket. The screen can also help locate little lost sponges, ribs and other things you don't want in the mix. I may put my plaster in a pillowcase for extra insurance against any plaster chipping into my clay. I have used clove oil in paper clay to keep stink away, but all the smells go away after the clay has been fired!  

Archived