#1 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

In reference to white glaze, Does the color of the clay usually determine the color that the thinner places have, from breaking over the texture?

Specifically, I saw a piece with a beautiful soft waxy, white glaze and the texture showed up gray.  I want that.  do I need to be using gray clay to get it?  Don't have access to gray clay.

The white glaze I do use is glossy, good on texture, but always show up as rust, tan if on buff or darker clay, and toilet white on white clay. So I figure it's all about the clay color. Nice, but not that beautiful gray satin combo. Any texture is going to show up as shades of tan-brown.   

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

yes. you are right. It is the nature of what happens when a glaze breaks over texture. It thins out and the clay color comes through.What is your firing temperature. Maybe you can add a gray stain to the glaze.
A small % of black stain could do the trick. ..something like .2%
Test and see.
Marcia

#3 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Not an expert but couldn't you wedge some black mason stain into white clay and get gray then glaze over that?

T
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#4 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

How about a grey slip over your tan or buff clay? A white base slip plus grey stain, Robin Hopper has some good base slip recipes for various temps. If your white glaze has about 10% zircopax in it then a white slip with RIO (10% plus or minus a couple %) will also give you a grey. (example on the oval platter in my gallery, it has cobalt over the iron slip also)

#5 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

all good thought, thanks. I have a pug mill, guess I could make gray clay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users