29 replies to this topic

#21 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

It's so much more fun to read the forum when you can see a photo of the person answering or an image of their work.
Even an avatar is more fun than the default image.

I want to encourage forum participants to put up a picture and add some info to your profiles.
It's fairly simple to do ... Just holler if you need help.

I'm having trouble uploading my pictures to the gallery. Everytime I try it either says there was a problem uploading and to contact a system administrator or it takes me back to the main forum page. I made the pictures smaller but it still didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Spring

Looks like you managed to get some pics up. Nice. I think you said somewhere that Casscade moves and creates sound. At the risk of being off topic for this thread, tell us more. What kind of clay(s) do you use?

Jim
E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#22 Guest_HerbNorris_*

Guest_HerbNorris_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

You don't need to be a member of the PC to post pictures, I just test posted a 1600 x 1100 jpg, and it works fine, it just takes some futzing around to get it to show.
If you are signed in, and you click on "Gallery", you get to which has headings "Photo Gallery" then "Members Gallery"(which is in a tan rectangle). If you click on "Member's Gallery" you will be taken to the members gallery, but you won't see the picture that you saw on the previous page. On the "Member's Gallery" page, you will see a grey box on the right side that says "New Image." If you click on this box and upload a picture, you will get the situation I just described. Why, I don't know.
In order for the pics to ACTUALLY appear in the gallery, you must add them to an album first, then you must make sure that that album is a PUBLIC album.
1. When you are signed in, click on your avatar picture in the top right corner. This takes you to a page called "Spring's profile."
2. On the right of the page, there is a grey box labelled " Edit my Profile." click that. It takes you to a page called "Your Options."
3. Under the caption "Your Options" you will see four headings, click on the rightmost heading, "Gallery."
4. You will see a caption "No Albums Found Click here to create your first album! " Click that to create an album.
5. You will see essentially the same page as before, except now it will have Album parameters to edit, like "album name","album description," "Category," and the most important one "Public Album - Checking this box will allow other users to view your album."
Check this box to have your pics visible in the member's gallery, and to put them in posts.
6. Click on the black "Create album" button at the bottom of the page. This creates the album and allow you to add pictures, delete them, etc.
7. You should now be at the page in your profile which has an "Album Manager" heading in a tan rectangle. Under that, you should see the album name that you created, status,(It should say "Public") , category,Stats, and then "Controls." Under "controls," there should be a drop down menu box labelled "Select an operation." If you click the down arrow, it will give you options" edit, delete, view, new image, new media."
8.If you click on "New image" ,you can add pictures to this album, and they can be seen in the member's gallery. I think you have used this page before, so you know how to do that.
9. Now when you add an image to the album, a page will open with the picture title at the top, and a tan rectangle on the right,
with the heading "Image Details". It's here that you should see all your image properties. Under this box is an often missed little box, called "mod options", in grey. If you click on that, you can edit, move, or delete your image.

Phew! that's alot of work just to get a picture up, I must say. It's one of the hardest procedures to get pictures posted on a public board that I have seen, it's so circuitous.
Sorry for all the words, but it might help. I posted a picture, "Footvase.jpg" just to make sure it works.
You can get it to work too!

#23 spring

spring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOakland, Ca

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

It's so much more fun to read the forum when you can see a photo of the person answering or an image of their work.

I want to encourage forum participants to put up a picture and add some info to your profiles.

I'm having trouble uploading my pictures to the gallery. Everytime I try it either says there was a problem uploading and to contact a system administrator or it takes me back to the main forum page. I made the pictures smaller but it still didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Spring

As for the
Looks like you managed to get some pics up. Nice. I think you said somewhere that Casscade moves and creates sound. At the risk of being off topic for this thread, tell us more. What kind of clay(s) do you use?

Jim

Here s a link to a youtube video someone took (I'm still working on one of my own)

All the pieces that you have seen have an element of movement and sound. It simply depends on the amount of air flow in the room.
They are made with southern ice. I was lucky enough to purchase 150 pounds before the problems with shipping occured. They are rolled paper thin so they can still be transparent with the presence of stains. It's really a time consuming, complicated process to make each "feather". I spent a year and a half from prototype-refining-finished pieces. I'm not sure if this is the info you were looking for. Hope it helps. If you have more Q's email me and I'll get back to you or look me up on FB.

Thanks

#24 spring

spring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOakland, Ca

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

You don't need to be a member of the PC to post pictures, I just test posted a 1600 x 1100 jpg, and it works fine, it just takes some futzing around to get it to show.
If you are signed in, and you click on "Gallery", you get to which has headings "Photo Gallery" then "Members Gallery"(which is in a tan rectangle). If you click on "Member's Gallery" you will be taken to the members gallery, but you won't see the picture that you saw on the previous page. On the "Member's Gallery" page, you will see a grey box on the right side that says "New Image." If you click on this box and upload a picture, you will get the situation I just described. Why, I don't know.
In order for the pics to ACTUALLY appear in the gallery, you must add them to an album first, then you must make sure that that album is a PUBLIC album.
1. When you are signed in, click on your avatar picture in the top right corner. This takes you to a page called "Spring's profile."
2. On the right of the page, there is a grey box labelled " Edit my Profile." click that. It takes you to a page called "Your Options."
3. Under the caption "Your Options" you will see four headings, click on the rightmost heading, "Gallery."
4. You will see a caption "No Albums Found Click here to create your first album! " Click that to create an album.
5. You will see essentially the same page as before, except now it will have Album parameters to edit, like "album name","album description," "Category," and the most important one "Public Album - Checking this box will allow other users to view your album."
Check this box to have your pics visible in the member's gallery, and to put them in posts.
6. Click on the black "Create album" button at the bottom of the page. This creates the album and allow you to add pictures, delete them, etc.
7. You should now be at the page in your profile which has an "Album Manager" heading in a tan rectangle. Under that, you should see the album name that you created, status,(It should say "Public") , category,Stats, and then "Controls." Under "controls," there should be a drop down menu box labelled "Select an operation." If you click the down arrow, it will give you options" edit, delete, view, new image, new media."
8.If you click on "New image" ,you can add pictures to this album, and they can be seen in the member's gallery. I think you have used this page before, so you know how to do that.
9. Now when you add an image to the album, a page will open with the picture title at the top, and a tan rectangle on the right,
with the heading "Image Details". It's here that you should see all your image properties. Under this box is an often missed little box, called "mod options", in grey. If you click on that, you can edit, move, or delete your image.

Phew! that's alot of work just to get a picture up, I must say. It's one of the hardest procedures to get pictures posted on a public board that I have seen, it's so circuitous.
Sorry for all the words, but it might help. I posted a picture, "Footvase.jpg" just to make sure it works.
You can get it to work too!

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this. I will try it out.

I saw the picture you added:)

Spring

#25 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

Thanks, Spring

As for the

Jim

Here s a link to a youtube video someone took (I'm still working on one of my own)

http://www.youtube.c...DN2NX0bcQ<br />
All the pieces that you have seen have an element of movement and sound. It simply depends on the amount of air flow in the room.
They are made with southern ice. I was lucky enough to purchase 150 pounds before the problems with shipping occured. They are rolled paper thin so they can still be transparent with the presence of stains. It's really a time consuming, complicated process to make each "feather". I spent a year and a half from prototype-refining-finished pieces. I'm not sure if this is the info you were looking for. Hope it helps. If you have more Q's email me and I'll get back to you or look me up on FB.

Thanks

I still have some Southern Ice, too. Frost 6 and Frost 10 are just as white and translucent. The luminary below (if I can load a pic here) is Frost 6.

Jim

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   171.46KB   11 downloads

E pur si muove.

#26 AlexCeramics

AlexCeramics

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:16 PM

This is an example of my recent work. Made up of about 4000 individual ceramic pieces that move and create sound.

Wow! Amazing! How do they create sound?

#27 spring

spring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOakland, Ca

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:34 AM

This is an example of my recent work. Made up of about 4000 individual ceramic pieces that move and create sound.

Wow! Amazing! How do they create sound?

It was designed to incorporate sound by movement. Because they are vitrified and attached to wire that has tension, the slightest breeze makes them move. As they move, they bump into each other. The greater the density (in terms of placement) and size the louder and deeper the sound. With smaller. thin, more spaced out areas producing a sound like the trickling of water and denser, larger, and thicker pieces sound like the wind rustling through trees.

#28 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,728 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

I hope to see this at NCECA. Meanwhile, more and more members are not giving any type of information about themselves. I guess that is the age of participating anonymously but it almost makes me less willing to offer much. Why are people so unwilling to let us know about who they are?

Marcia

#29 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

I hope to see this at NCECA. Meanwhile, more and more members are not giving any type of information about themselves. I guess that is the age of participating anonymously but it almost makes me less willing to offer much. Why are people so unwilling to let us know about who they are?

Marcia

A name, a little info, and a picture or two of your work gives what you say here weight. Anybody can spew out words but why would anyone here care what you have to say if you're not polite enough to introduce yourself.

Jim
E pur si muove.

#30 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

So, here goes

Posted Image">

close up
Posted Image">

what I call the money shot!Posted Image">

Wow, this piece looks incredible, any videos of it in action?

1384226_215924051918490_1181728069_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users