#21 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Well after reading the above comments, spending half the weekend watching Tim Sees videos on You Tube and two hours on the wheel this moring, I can only say "Thank You" to everyone.  I think I've nearly got it.  I've also got aches in places I didn't know I had, Now I can't wait for next week, and may eventually take up the offer of a wheel from a retiring potter!

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#22 timbo_heff

timbo_heff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMA / NY

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Good move: Tim See's videos are great: he goes at just the right speed !

#23 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

I have been throwing for 3 years, and there are days I cannot get the clay to center. Seriously, I find the clay is a barometer of what is going on in my head. If I am out of balance in my life, the clay stays unbalanced. Weird, but true for me!
Nancy
Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery
www.northernwoodsstudio.blogspot.com

#24 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Try teaching for 36 years. Even on the worst of days you had to be spot on. This meant if everything else was in chaos around you, the last thing you wanted to do was fail at a demonstration. I usually demonstrated for classes 3 times a week, 2 each day. Then there was the assistance times during the day to help a student get the feel of things by guiding them through the process, often using their hands as tools for my hands. Day in and day out there was not time for being a little off even in the early years. The easiest way to lose a class was to be there and not to look like you knew what you were doing. I think it is even tougher for teachers today as students know what a good potter looks like when centering, throwing and shaping . . . . It is all on Utube! In my day I could fudge, slightly! :rolleyes:

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#25 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Claylovers suggestion of changing the amount of clay that your trying to throw is a good idea.  I have really large hands and have trouble centering small amounts, my hands just seem to be in the way and the clay has disappeared beneath my massive mitts.  Denice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users