• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lorielle

lorielle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Although I have a favorite mug, I often choose others.  In a way, it makes me feel as if I am visiting with a friend or an admired potter.  Whose cup or mug did you choose today?  Why?  Share a picture if you'd like! 

Lori Leary
Board Member, Potters Council

#2 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

My favorite mug to use are cups that match the stoneware tableware set that I made, they fit my large hands well and are comforting to use.  I have mugs bought and collected from other potters but I don't use them. I'm afraid I'll break them.  My husband  and I break glasses and dishes constantly, so far the stoneware has survived.  I have the mugs displayed where I can see them countless times during the day and remember my friends.  Denice

#3 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

The one my mother drank out of for as long as I can remember.ever.  White with a blue band of daisies around it.  Long before I became a potter. It went from her hands to mine, when I emptied her house, it was the first thing I packed.   No one else has ever drunk from it.   Unfortunately, it probably came from Wal -mart, but that does not diminish the pleasure I get every time I pick it up.  Wish I could sit down with her and have another  cup of coffee together .

I hope the mugs I make will become someone's heirloom.

#4 nigich22

nigich22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLouisville KY

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

It is late and the mug I am picking up is the stein that I threw in college, the beer just tastes better in it for some reason.

#5 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

It is late and the mug I am picking up is the stein that I threw in college, the beer just tastes better in it for some reason.

Must be the leaching.....hehe.

No mug for me today. I took a tall plastic cup with a screw on lid and a straw, for my iced coffee. We're in a heatwave baby, I gotta stay cool!
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#6 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

No mug for me today. I took a tall plastic cup with a screw on lid and a straw, for my iced coffee. We're in a heatwave baby, I gotta stay cool!

Ben;

What's your temperature where you are? We were at 35 C the other day. That would be 95F.

It's not the temperature, it's the humility.

I'm still drinking hot coffee from a mug of my own design, but I am sitting in the basement.Yes, I have clothes on.

TJR.

#7 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I drank out of my own new favorite mug. It was one of the extras from the dinner set that had a mark on it, I repaired and retired it in with some test tiles and it came out better than the dinner set.
Now it is my favorite for my morning capuccino.I have it around 5:30 am.
TJR,
it is stinking hot down here at the 25th parallel. But at least we have had some rain. Now it is like a steam bath outside.37-39 C here with lows about 26.

Marcia

#8 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 875 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

I drink iced coffee in the summer too, but I still use mugs. I don't have a favorite, just a big mug collection that I keep next to the sink. This morning's mug was made by Becky Moy at Greenbridge Pottery in Maryland.

Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#9 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Ben;
What's your temperature where you are? We were at 35 C the other day. That would be 95F.
I'm still drinking hot coffee from a mug of my own design, but I am sitting in the basement.Yes, I have clothes on.
TJR.

We have been at least that hot for over a week TJR. A majority of the schools in my area and throughout the state have got out early every day this week. Mine district has not, as every building has AC.

Marcia, I wishnwemgotmsomemof that rain. We had a lot of heat and a drought last summer, and after an unexpected coolmsoggy spring, it's been dry here since.

#10 justanassembler

justanassembler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

I picked out my favorite John Balistreri mug today for my morning coffee--its a goto for me.

balistrericup

#11 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 875 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

The Oatmeal posted a comic this week titled "Coffee in a Porcelain Cup." Even though he admits he wrote it in a Nyquil-drugged state, it still gave me a chuckle ....

http://theoatmeal.co...ee_in_porcelain
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#12 Joy pots

Joy pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

I like my own mugs most of them demo ones, but I make the handles wide as arthritis causes my grip to be loose & the demo mugs are different than my regular style they're free forms.
Humm maybe others will like them better too?
Joy

#13 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

I drank out of my own new favorite mug. It was one of the extras from the dinner set that had a mark on it, I repaired and retired it in with some test tiles and it came out better than the dinner set.
TJR,
it is stinking hot down here at the 25th parallel. But at least we have had some rain. Now it is like a steam bath outside.37-39 C here with lows about 26.

Marcia

Marcia;

That sounds HOT! 35 is about all I can take.

TJR.

#14 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

Ben;
TJR.

We have been at least that hot for over a week TJR. A majority of the schools in my area and throughout the state have got out early every day this week. Mine district has not, as every building has AC.

Marcia, I wishnwemgotmsomemof that rain. We had a lot of heat and a drought last summer, and after an unexpected coolmsoggy spring, it's been dry here since.

Ben;

I start teaching tomorrow. I am on the second floor of a 50 year old building. I don't have air conditioning. I don't do my clay units until there is snow on the ground. Around November.

T.

#15 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

Ben;
TJR.

Ben;
I start teaching tomorrow. I am on the second floor of a 50 year old building. I don't have air conditioning. I don't do my clay units until there is snow on the ground. Around November.
T.

The first district I worked at, mynroom was on the top floor. Both the beginning of the year, in August, and the end of the year, in June were all types of hot and humid. I had fans going, but you couldn't tell. I never waited to start with clay, until it cooled down, because we would have been waiting a while. I had those kids wedging large chunks of clay on the second day. Of course, up North you probably don't have to wait long before there is snow on the ground.

#16 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

To all you teachers going back to school,I hope you have a good year.
Marcia

#17 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

TJR,

Marcia

My exhaust kilns in the kiln shed are set to run at 120 F. and often they are running when there hasn't been any firing.

Marcia;
That sounds HOT! 35 is about all I can take.
TJR.

#18 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Ben;
TJR.

Ben;
T.

The first district I worked at, mynroom was on the top floor. Both the beginning of the year, in August, and the end of the year, in June were all types of hot and humid. I had fans going, but you couldn't tell. I never waited to start with clay, until it cooled down, because we would have been waiting a while. I had those kids wedging large chunks of clay on the second day. Of course, up North you probably don't have to wait long before there is snow on the ground.

It starts getting cold around Hallowe'en. Our Thanksgiving is a month earlier than yours on October 15, as the growing season is shorter.

TJR.

#19 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

To all you teachers going back to school,I hope you have a good year.
Marcia

Marcia;

Inservice day today. My brain is already full of dates and projects and deadlines. Gotta love it though.

TJR.

#20 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the well wishes Marcia.

And to all the educators, current, or otherwise, I think you'll enjoy this:

083f71ba9d60f18146061cabb5b01b0a.jpg