• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#41 Ray West

Ray West

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

This thread started with an article about some myths of creativity, but unless I missed something in the article or the responding posts, the term "creativity" has not been defined.  I know of and more or less agree with the "10,000 hours rule", practice makes perfect.  The Beetles spent those ten thousand hours before they became an overnight sensation.  I get it. But there are many more people who have practiced singing for that long and still can't carry a tune, let alone create new music that shakes the world.  The same is true in our........work.  Creativity is not necessarily pretty pictures and symmetrical pots.  To me creativity is seeing new patterns in the reality inside and outside your own mind and communicating that reality you have discovered to others.  I do not think the "10 myths" are always necessarily myths, except I do believe that there is creativity in science and mathematics.   Skill gives us tools to express ourselves, but is not necessarily in and of itself creativity.  I think there is usually  suffering, uncertainty and mistakes inherent in creating and expressing something new, and occasionally, success.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users