I am in the midst of trying to decide on a small electric kiln. It must be around 4 cu feet, fire to cone 10 and have an auto programmer. I'm in Far North Queensland, Australia.
I would really appreciate any advise. Am looking at L & L Top loading, Shimpo DUA07 and Woodrow Hotbox II.

Hi Jenny

only seen a very few so its good to see another Aussie on the site!

my 2 frontloaders are a Tetlow and a Ward, both 'old-school' brick/steel constructions built to last!!!....do love them....reliable and consistent,

both are fitted with Bartlett C6 controllers......bigger and not as pretty as Harco but a more versatile in program options

one of my portable kilns is a Woodrow Minifire fibre lined with what looks like an Oroton computer controller....do love it as well.... but must say that if you value after-sales service post warranty, don't expect it.....the FNQ dealer may be different but the Sydney one is disinterested and genuinely awful!!     ....am on the hunt for a new technician now

the L&L top loaders seem popular on this site but I didn't know we had them in Aus.  have seen the Skutt and Paragon imports and the ones Tetlow make but have not seen the L&L in Sydney yet....if you get one I'd be curious to know how it goes

welcome to the forums!

Irene

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about L&L (I'm a distributor). They can wire up the kiln for whatever electrical service you use in Australia. If you don't have a distributor in your area, they can ship to you from the factory. No kiln lasts longer.

Hi Neil,
There is a distributor but they are far far away in southern Queensland.
I'm looking at the L&L e23S-3 or the e18T single phase.
Can't make up my mind whether the wider e23s would be more user friendly and efficient though.

Is shipping complicated, and I wonder if there would be a difference in price? It would have to come through Brisbane port I expect and then up here by road or rail.
We're kind of like the last outpost, but very beautiful.

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
jenny

Hi Jenny

only seen a very few so its good to see another Aussie on the site!

my 2 frontloaders are a Tetlow and a Ward, both 'old-school' brick/steel constructions built to last!!!....do love them....reliable and consistent,

both are fitted with Bartlett C6 controllers......bigger and not as pretty as Harco but a more versatile in program options

one of my portable kilns is a Woodrow Minifire fibre lined with what looks like an Oroton computer controller....do love it as well.... but must say that if you value after-sales service post warranty, don't expect it.....the FNQ dealer may be different but the Sydney one is disinterested and genuinely awful!!     ....am on the hunt for a new technician now

the L&L top loaders seem popular on this site but I didn't know we had them in Aus.  have seen the Skutt and Paragon imports and the ones Tetlow make but have not seen the L&L in Sydney yet....if you get one I'd be curious to know how it goes

welcome to the forums!

Irene

Hi Irene,

Sounds like you are very organised with your kilns. I am just starting out with my own equipment and finding it very daunting. Being up in Cairns further complicates things.

Not only do we not have any distributors but no technichians either.

I'm off to the "Spring Fever" on the Sunshine Coast in October so hopefully will be able to expand my knowledge after that.

Cheers, Jenny

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about L&L (I'm a distributor). They can wire up the kiln for whatever electrical service you use in Australia. If you don't have a distributor in your area, they can ship to you from the factory. No kiln lasts longer.

As a teacher, who has one in their classroom, I'm happy to here that!

Archived