Albany Slip Glaze As A Clear?

David F.

Sorry, I intended to leave the recipe. Alberta Slip-80%; Neph. Sy.-10%; G. B.- 10% .

So you are saying your recipe uses Alberta, not Albany slip? I was wondering about the first post, as I thought that Albany was no longer available except to the very few that have some. I was also wondering why you would use if for a clear when it has such rich possibilities in the brown-yellow range. Your second post cleared that all up-Thanks.

So

you just mixed up neph sy and g borate ?

I looked up alberta slip ( not familar w/ it ) and got this from Continental clay's web site...

"Alberta Slip (44# bag) Albany Slip substitute

Alberta Slip is a medium plasticity clay-like material. It can be mixed with water to produce a body that can be modeled or thrown on a potter's wheel and fired at low temperatures.

Like classic Albany Slip, Alberta Slip melts fairly well from cone 6 up. By cone 10 it produces a glossy brown in oxidation and a tenmoku in reduction.

Since it is basically a clay material, it generates a significant amount of gases as it decomposes during melting. These tend to make it an 'active' melter in that it bubbles and heaves as it melts (if applied in a very thick layer). For a better melt add a boron frit (i.e. Ferro 3134) and fire slow enough to give it time to smooth out."

so the addition of neph sy and g borate serve the same fuction as ff 3134.

Archived