Left Hand Limitations

van

Because of arthritis, hand surgery, and stroke, even with therapy I work with a weak and twisted left hand; thumb will not raise from palm right now. i get fair results by rotating the wheel clockwise (Asian) method. I straddle the wheel propping my left foot on 2 bricks and bracing my arm on knee to get leverage. Torn left rotator cuff does not help. Are there tips or tricks anyone with similar circumstances can suggest? smile.gif Hope so; potting is good therapy. van

Because of arthritis, hand surgery, and stroke, even with therapy I work with a weak and twisted left hand; thumb will not raise from palm right now. i get fair results by rotating the wheel clockwise (Asian) method. I straddle the wheel propping my left foot on 2 bricks and bracing my arm on knee to get leverage. Torn left rotator cuff does not help. Are there tips or tricks anyone with similar circumstances can suggest? smile.gif Hope so; potting is good therapy. van

When in college-too many years ago! A fellow student(girl) had a left arm that ended just above the wrist. She was trying to learn how to throw and tried all sorts of things from a paddle like glove with a wooden insert to centering with the elbow with the lower arm perpendicular to the wheel head upwards. It forced her to get really close to the wheel on that side, and a standing position for throwing worked best. You might try it.

You might want to watch a you-tube video for some ideas... it shows a man throwing a plate using only one hand. (Well, to be accurate, he uses both hands, but only one at a time... so, theoretically, it would be possible to do it completely one-handed.)

Have you thought about a ball opener or Axners arm that fits on your wheel? A friend of mine made one easily and it has saved his thumbs and arms.

Looked this up - pricey. I would like to know how your friend made his if you can find out. Thanks for your advice and help.

smile.gifsmile.gif

You might want to watch a you-tube video for some ideas... it shows a man throwing a plate using only one hand. (Well, to be accurate, he uses both hands, but only one at a time... so, theoretically, it would be possible to do it completely one-handed.)

Archived