Forbes Wax Contaminating Glaze?

nairda

The batch of Caribbean Sea Green glaze (from Mastering Cone 6 Glazes) at our local pottery co-op has started to crawl on pots, severely in some cases.  Folks are doing a good job of sponging dust off pots before glazing and the bucket of glaze was working normally until a few weeks ago.  Was wondering if some liquid Forbes wax accidentally got dropped into the open bucket?  Nothing else has changed (same clay body, same kilns, affected pots are not thin) and the batch was working just fine.  Any suggestions?

So sorry to hear you had bad luck with a glaze. Sponging dust off bisqued pots is always essential before glazing. Could it be that people had maybe hand lotion or sun lotion on their hands while sponging or handling the bisque pots? Or maybe sun lotion on the face and that drips on the pot while sweating in this summer heat?

This is not a wild guess, we had that problem once in our studio.

Evelyne

It's on all the pots in the last two firings, some more than others.  Folks are really aware to have clean hands when handling bisque ware so I don't think it's lotion, oils or dust.  Seems like it would take right much Forbes to contaminate 2 gallons of glaze?  Was hoping someone else had experienced this problem before. 

• 3 years later...

We use forbes wax in out porcelain production studio Haand in NC and I am having exactly the same problem! We produce roughly 700 pots a week and are very diligent about contaminants in the glaze and bisque ware preparation.During these hot months we have noticed a waxy film on the surface of the glaze and crawling where the pot fist breaks the surface. I am fairly certain the wax we use to coat the bottoms is the culprit.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to remove the wax from the liquid or another resist that does not combine with the glaze that would superb. I have already tried using a fine mesh screen to scoop the waxy film and even icing the entire 15gal bucket! Keeping the glaze mixed well and avoiding the rim when dipping helps some but is slowing down my production line. 

Help!

http://www.axner.com/mobilcer-a-wax-resist.aspx

I buy it by the 5 gallon size and used it for 40 years no issues never found it in glaze buckets. I use a sponge to apply it.

As far as hot wax I use 

Parowax (paraffin) bought by the case thru most supermarkets(ordered)-its used for canning -candle making.

Comes in box with 4 bars 24? boxes to a case-it never gets in glaze buckets as well.

I also have used this for 30 years with zero issues

From you description of the problem, I have these conclusions and speculations:

1. The wax may not be hardening due to hot and / or humid weather.  The pots may still have a "liquid" layer on their bottoms when dipped into the glaze.  Running 700 a week through a 2 gallon inventory, it is likely you are washing some wax off the bottoms.  Question to be answered:: Does buildup in the bucket happen in the colder months of winter? 

2. Pour off carefully the oily layer from the glaze bucket after letting it sit still over night.  Then check if the oil layer is still there.  This will tell you something about recovering a bucket of glaze. 

3.  I have used clear shellac as resist.  It must be allowed to dry before glazing, and it needs to be wiped with a wet sponge to remove the wet glaze.  This may not be a viable work around for a production line. 

4. A clear acrylic such as LiquiTex matte medium might be a workable substitute.  It must be allowed to dry before dipping the glaze bucket.   I have used it to carry cobalt and yellow pigments for marks on pots that were dipped into glazes.  I don't know if a wet wipe is needed to clear any glaze.  It worked for what I was doing but small amounts of glaze on the marks would not have been a problem for me.

LT

In cooking, we remove excess fats from a liquid by chilling it. The fats congeal on the surface where they can be (carefully) lifted off.

I've never used your brand of wax. I use a water-based wax from Aardvark similar to the one MarkC recommended. Is there something special about Forbes?

One last note-I just got word that Laguna is going to just sell only their axner wax and stop carrying the 

Mobilcer-A Wax Resist

Once they sell their stock they will not reorder any more. I bought another 5 gallons today-shipped FedX ground.

That gives me a 10 gallon stash-should last whats left of my lifetime.

Archived