#21 oldlady

oldlady

firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

evelyne, i have made some things like that.  i rolled out a thin slab onto a thin piece of cotton (a former pillowslip) and left it there while manipulating it into the folds i wanted.  after it set up a little, i peeled off the fabric.  i did not say i easily pulled it off and it didn't work the first time but it works. you could also roll a slab onto thin cotton and set a weight in the center and fold up the edges.  playing with fabric and clay is fun.

haven't found the mermaid yet, trina. 

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#22 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hello trina and oldlady

Many thanks for both your tipps about working with fabric to get those lovely folds in ceramics. I have to really try this techniques! The mermaid is absolutely lovely trina!

Oldlady: click on trinas picture (avatar), scroll down to gallery and click on it, the mermaid1 is the first in the Images gallery.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

#23 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hard to answer. I try to be more of a sponge to my surroundings. Always interested in museums, read voraciously, love being in the natural environment. Constantly investigating. I have seen and been lots of places when younger, and continue to try to broaden my experiences. All of this goes together to influence my work. Sad part of it all is, I still don't feel what I do, is what I want. Texture and pattern important, color and depth also, jsut not there yet. So I will continue to look until it comes together.

Pres;

It's about the search, the journey. Once we stop searching as artists, and I include you in this, then we are dead. We are like sharks. We must keep swimming. I am constantly looking ,searching. When travelling, my family only allows me two galleries or potteries a day.Most of the time it's enough.

TJR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users