Inspiration, Where Do You Seek It?

yesterday, i was in The Art Spot which is closing tomorrow.  Polly Beach is moving to St. Augustine, Fl and will re-open there.

the tiny old building was filled with beautiful things as well as being a small supply house.  i was lucky enough to get a piece of martha grover's pottery.  as i looked at all the wonderful pots and art on the shelves i could see things i would like to say that i had made.  

today, marcia selsor has a post about a technique i never came across before.  though marcia's  work is nothing like anything i have ever seen,  her post made  me remember the Eeles family of potters in england  whose work was so inspiring when i saw it in 2004. they used silver chloride and low fire commercial glazes to achieve a combination of hard stoneware and ephemeral, yet realistic decoration.   looking at their website today, i noticed that they have strikingly changed their work and i would never have associated this new stuff with the pieces i have.  some retrospective in the future will confuse viewers as to the origins of a particular piece.

we are all influenced by the world around us and by the work we see and admire.  i am always seeking inspiration and wonder what your recent source has been?

I haven't posted for a while been busy recharging my batteries and taking a break, lots of things going on in my personal life so have had some time for introspection. I love looking at the works of different artists in other mediums besides clay.  I have great contact with painters and other sculptors, but at the end of the day the thing that inspires me the most is the thing in me that wants out. It is that feeling that you get when you are working on something and it just starts working and speaking to you or through you.  The interaction with the muse in the room so to speak. It is a magical thing. It is an interesting question though.  Maybe a more relevant question for me would be, How different do you think your work be if you were exposed to a different set of circumstances and influences?  Just a one more thing to think about....ha

T

Hard to answer. I try to be more of a sponge to my surroundings. Always interested in museums, read voraciously, love being in the natural environment. Constantly investigating. I have seen and been lots of places when younger, and continue to try to broaden my experiences. All of this goes together to influence my work. Sad part of it all is, I still don't feel what I do, is what I want. Texture and pattern important, color and depth also, jsut not there yet. So I will continue to look until it comes together.

chris,  jane is marvelous, isn't she?  i talked to her in her studio last year (?) while there was a big exhibit of her work in Spruce Pine.  i could have looked all day and not seen enough.  i met jane many years ago at the ACC baltimore show.  she was kind enough to give me her formulas for colored porcelain.

at the smithsonian show in wash, dc a few years ago there was a woman doing Kimono's standing up and empty as though the wearer were invisible.  these were done in colored porcelain strips.  such movement in a piece was remarkable.  i do not know her name, do you?  i know your world is pretty tightly knit.

Here is info on Margaret Ford's paper clay kimonos from 1981

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/22/garden/paper-and-clay-in-sculpture-show.html

The jpg is tiny but it is the best I could do.

Interesting that they both had shows at the Renwick..30 years apart! I guess it depends on your definition of a fews years!

Marcia

post-1954-0-72411300-1375219587.jpg

post-1954-0-72411300-1375219587.jpg

I'am always influenced by natur. On a long walk or a hike I can see hundreds of possible shapes that I can try to reproduce in clay.

bsiskepottery: thanks for the LaMonte link. Her art is so beautiful, be it glass, bronze or ceramic. Looking at the drapery studies or the kimonos in ceramics I must ask how they are made. I simply don't know. You can't build from scratch such harmonious folds. Can't you? Is it done by lying the folds in cloth and then spray or cast slip over it very carefully and after the drying stage burn it in the kiln? I would appreciate if anybody here could enlighten me. Thanks!

Evelyne

I agree with Evelyne, La Monte's work is stunning. Thanks for sharing, bciske. Jim what is Hydrocodone?

Marcia

Basically what Benzine posted. Vacodin, Oxycontin, etc. It's basically a harmless drug except that it is often combined with acetaminophen (Tylenol) which is very dangerous. What hydrocodone does in the brain to shut down pain also helps the right side of the brain to not be bullied as much by the left side of the brain, enhancing creativity. In some people it causes a burst of creative excitement.

Jim

i am going to ignore jim and benzine and their medical tangent.

thank you marcia, this is not the work i saw.  it would be similar in style, the moving fabric look, but the clay was handled more like jane pieser or chris would do.  the colors were in narrow, 1/4 inch strips, very vibrant colors and color visible clear through the clay, not applied in a sheet.

and yes, it could have been many years ago, in the LAST CENTURY when jim was in diapers and not yet smoking.

I herewith repeat my question of July 31:

Looking at the drapery studies of Karen LaMonte I must ask how they are made. I simply don't know. You can't build from scratch such harmonious folds. Can't you? Is it done by lying the folds in cloth and then spray or cast slip over it very carefully and after the drying stage burn it in the kiln?

I would appreciate if anybody here could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance!

Evelyne

Thank you very much Marcia, very kind of you!

So those folds are slip casted in a big factory. Bummer. Seems I can stop dreaming of doing something similar in my basement studio....

What would happen though if I try to build the folds with cloth, spray slip in a few layers on it, let it dry and then burn it to bisque? The cloth will burn away surely and then I have a hollow space there.... Hmmmm....

Ok this is now the 4th attempt before I throw the computer out of the window.  I have gone through a lot of computers that way arrrrrgggg.....

Dear Evelyn,

I make great cloth looking clay by, rolling out paper clay between two sheets of paper or for that matter cloth.  I have a mangel in the studio and I can roll to paper thinness.  Then I get the sheet a little wet with a spray bottle and voila, cloth, drapey and good. I have tried to attach a photo but I am obviously not that smart... I will post a mermaid in my gallery and you can have a look there.   T

evelyne, i have made some things like that.  i rolled out a thin slab onto a thin piece of cotton (a former pillowslip) and left it there while manipulating it into the folds i wanted.  after it set up a little, i peeled off the fabric.  i did not say i easily pulled it off and it didn't work the first time but it works. you could also roll a slab onto thin cotton and set a weight in the center and fold up the edges.  playing with fabric and clay is fun.

haven't found the mermaid yet, trina. 

Hello trina and oldlady

Many thanks for both your tipps about working with fabric to get those lovely folds in ceramics. I have to really try this techniques! The mermaid is absolutely lovely trina!

Oldlady: click on trinas picture (avatar), scroll down to gallery and click on it, the mermaid1 is the first in the Images gallery.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Evelyne

Hard to answer. I try to be more of a sponge to my surroundings. Always interested in museums, read voraciously, love being in the natural environment. Constantly investigating. I have seen and been lots of places when younger, and continue to try to broaden my experiences. All of this goes together to influence my work. Sad part of it all is, I still don't feel what I do, is what I want. Texture and pattern important, color and depth also, jsut not there yet. So I will continue to look until it comes together.

Pres;

It's about the search, the journey. Once we stop searching as artists, and I include you in this, then we are dead. We are like sharks. We must keep swimming. I am constantly looking ,searching. When travelling, my family only allows me two galleries or potteries a day.Most of the time it's enough.

TJR.

Archived