Cold Glazing Porcelain And Stoneware Beads And Pendants

I've been making ceramic beads from scrap of stoneware and porcelain and glazing them in the normal way - but have now started painting unglazed fired beads with acrylic paints because I like the control I get to see the  actual colors while I am working on the beads - also I like layering, wiping, staining etc on textured pieces. In my first attempts I'm just using regular artist acrylic paints and am going to try tinted gilders wax as well but would be interested in other options for staining the fired clay as well. But my biggest questions is, how to finish them? I know polymer clay artists use varathane and pledge floor polish (!) and even modge podge to seal the finish. Just curious if fired clay artists use something different to finish their beads.

If you decided not glaze the beads because you could not see the true color of the glaze prior to firing, have you considered using underglazes. What you see is what you get with the underglazes. Add a clear coat and the colors intensify and darken slightly.

Otherwise Chis has a great idea.

Jed

I have a pretty large selection of underglazes  but I have an even bigger selection of acrylics, and this is really just for fun and experimentation. I'm big on color, so I wanted to experiment and wipe and sponge lots of different color away on highly textured pieces, and layer it and play around until I got what I was after (or more often, ruined it!). Plus - talk about instant gratification! I know I can do this, too with underglazes and may give it a try next time.

Today I was experimenting with water based varathane as a sealer for the acrylic paints. Seems to be working well.

Tomorrow I'll subdue the color a little but today I felt like vibrant hues! I know this is not to many people's taste!

post-3342-0-85543700-1374868180_thumb.jpg

post-3342-0-85543700-1374868180_thumb.jpg

Archived