#21 TheSmartCat

TheSmartCat

TheSmartCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSouthern Rhode Island

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Making Marks is one of my go to books for new techniques.  Right now I am starting to explore Mocha Infusions and Ceramic Ink.  I work in low fire and find that his information applicable for any firing range.  I've enjoyed his blog and his reader friendly attitude from his first posting.  This is the autobiography of an artist who has not hesitated to use all that comes his way to become part of his creativity.

Another excellent book for decorating and using color on clay is Image Transfer on Clay by Paul Andrew Wandless. 

#22 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Robin Hopper's trilogy is now on my to by list along with Image Transfer on Clay by Paul Andrew Wandless.

The story behind things always makes them more interesting. Michael Pollan in his discussions about  whole foods calls them " story foods". Many companies have learned to manipulate this was very false, misleading down-home stories about their products. Just a thought. I'm not implying this about Hopper.

Larry

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#23 Pam S

Pam S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

I'll start by saying that Robin Hopper's books and videos are a great source of reference and sometimes inspiration. I'd have to agree with Evelyne on the "spiritual" comment. To me, it rolls off of the man. His joy in what he does, his talent and willingness to share. Back to my crate now.

P

"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

#24 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Again! Spiritual?! What are you talking about? Didn't find any "Spirituality" in his blog.  (Not that it matters)

Good books, great artist, good potter, a complicated person. Sorry he is ill now. Sorry he was interrupted at the work shop. 

Definitely  a language barrier for me with this word. In fact the other day one of my patients asked me how is my father doing. (He is really old, 91, but is doing great, independent, does not even need medications). After hearing the old man is doing fine, the patient said: "Is he SPIRITUAL? Maybe that is his secret?"

No, he is not spiritual at all (whatever this word means). He just has a right life style, walks 4 miles every day and does not have a sweet tooth. 

#25 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

Again! Spiritual?! What are you talking about? Didn't find any "Spirituality" in his blog.  (Not that it matters)

Good books, great artist, good potter, a complicated person. Sorry he is ill now. Sorry he was interrupted at the work shop. 

Definitely  a language barrier for me with this word. In fact the other day one of my patients asked me how is my father doing. (He is really old, 91, but is doing great, independent, does not even need medications). After hearing the old man is doing fine, the patient said: "Is he SPIRITUAL? Maybe that is his secret?"

No, he is not spiritual at all (whatever this word means). He just has a right life style, walks 4 miles every day and does not have a sweet tooth. 

I agree with you except the part where you call him a "great artist".

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#26 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

:-)

#27 Howzat?

Howzat?

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

I am pleased that he made the effort of writing his books etc. Thousands have benefited from what he has written/taught ...me being one:) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users