Hi From Japan..... Here Is What I Am Up To.

Guest JBaymore

Guest JBaymore

Hi everyone. I'm over in Japan " in the studio" making pots at the moment.

It is just past midnight here and I just finished loading my work into chamber 3 of the 5 chamber noborigama here. I am splitting the chamber with Noro Risako-san,...... one of the senior potters/managers here at Kanayama and a dear friend. Soon we go into a 6 day firing cycle.

If you are interested in what I'm doing....... here's a link to photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4220760616623.1073741826.1813411552&type=1&l=c54a772d6c

I keep updating this as I have some time.

best,

................john

Great contrasts John between old and new-Thanks for the preview. Trip looks very good-nice to have friends in far away places.

I'm wondering about the wood sources to fire with? Are they industrial scraps (like pallets) or something else?

Mark

Guest JBaymore

Mark,

The wood used here is almost all scrap or one sort or another. All is basically free. A lot if slab and edgings from sawmills. Lumber industry here in Aomori-ken (Prefecture) is thriving and not affected by the blight that is hitting the red pine in southern Japan. Some is the off-cuts from construction posts and beams. No pallets.

All softwood. Mostly red pine. Best wood for firing there is. But smoky as hell.

All this wood would be burned in big piles if they were not using it here to make pots.

This place is (I think) currently the largest woodfiring operation in Japan volume-wise. It is hard to imagine the amount of pottery woodfired here in a year.

The main clay (and the key to the ware's look) is dug from the bottom of a pond/small lake I can see out of my room's window leess than a kilometer from the pottery once a year.

best,

...............john

Guest JBaymore

Benzine,

I wear that kind of headband a lot when I am in the studio both in Japan and at home. It is called "hachimaki". It keeps the sweat out of your eyes, keeps you hair from slopping around, and in Japan it can have another significance in certain situations. Hachimaki are often used by groups of people to signify two things..... that they are part of a "team" or "group" (since the hachimaki will match) and that the person wearing it is engaged in some specific task.

best,

................john

PS: anyone seen a hawk feather?

Thank you for the information.

I have dreamed about going to Japan for long long time. I finally have the time and some money set aside.

If I like to go and study (2 weeks or more?) at the same place as you are, what do I gave to do?

If you need, I can pm you my e-mail address etc.

Thank you

Looks great John. 

I've got to ask, what's with the "head band"?  Just something to keep the sweat out of your eyes?

The feather fell out.

Ah, I see. But in John's case, shouldn't it be featherS?

Benzine,I wear that kind of headband a lot when I am in the studio both in Japan and at home. It is called "hachimaki". It keeps the sweat out of your eyes, keeps you hair from slopping around, and in Japan it can have another significance in certain situations. Hachimaki are often used by groups of people to signify two things..... that they are part of a "team" or "group" (since the hachimaki will match) and that the person wearing it is engaged in some specific task.best,................johnPS: anyone seen a hawk feather?

Thanks for the information John. I kind of wondered if it was something like that. If I recall, I've seen photos of factory workers and such wearing such headbands as well, I'm guessing for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Are there ever any disputes/ feuds that arise, when you show up on another group's turf wearing the wrong "colors"? Perhaps a fight involving choreographed dance and finger snapping?

Guest JBaymore

Mark,

It is all fired green. Everything here is yakishime (unglazed) so no need to bisque at all.

best,

..............john

Guest JBaymore

Mart,

The Japanese answer to that question would be "Muzukashi desu" which translates to "It's difficult". I will eventually get back to you ......... but it has to be a long involved answer and I need time to spend to write it. As a starter for you, get a decent book on Japanese culture and business so you will really understand my eventual answer.

best,

................john

Great to see your work, I'm really jealous, making my way to Japan has always been a wish. You look like you are putting in long productive hours. That sort of immersion is often quite gratifying and the change of pace should help to prepare you for another year of your "other life".

Best,

Preston

Archived