Photo

Which Artist Would You Love To Work Beside In Their Studio For One Week? Who And Why? | July 17, 2013

Question of the Week

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lorielle

lorielle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Which artist would you love to work beside in their studio for one week? Who and why? Add a photo and/or a web link!  I actually have two people I would love to work with:  Beatrice Wood, for her expertise, her stories and to learn how to grow old gracefully.  My other choice would be David Shaner, for his skill, expertise, and to learn how to make work that touches others as much as his touches me.

Lori Leary
Board Member, Potters Council

#2 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

I'm not good enough yet to benefit from such an instructor. It would be like a "duffer" receiving the best golf clubs available. It would not make much of difference yet. But ask me in 5 years.

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

oh. The title before it completely opened was " which artist would you love"?

Miguel Molet. He lives in Catalunya, one of my favorite parts of the world. I enjoy his exploration and classes 

where the group explore new ideas together. He has a great community he is working with.

Marcia

#4 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Jeremy Randall. His beautiful work is so different. I was lucky enough to take a 3 day workshop with him in the spring, but would love to work for a week with him as he is so efficient in his methods and has a lot to offer.

#5 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

I'm not good enough yet to benefit from such an instructor. It would be like a "duffer" receiving the best golf clubs available. It would not make much of difference yet. But ask me in 5 years.

actually, if you did nothing more than silently  walk around the studio of an experienced potter with your EYES and your BRAIN open, you would learn more than asking 500 questions here.  that is why anyone new should take advantage of any "open studio" visits in your area.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#6 splicequeen

splicequeen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Allegheny Meadows. Love the sets!

#7 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

If I could turn back the clock and spend a week in Hamada's studio back in the day absorbing .That would be just fine

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#8 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

I would choose Ellen Shankin (to learn more interesting throwing/altering forms) and maybe, in autumn 2014, I will be lucky enough to participate in a workshop in Tuscany with her. Cross fingers!

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

#9 JLowes

JLowes

Clay Doodler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia area

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Michael Sherrill.  I love his work, but his tools are intriguing to me.  He makes what he needs and finds materials to make them from that make them better than any other manufacturers.  I guess I am a tool man and a do it yourselfer, as is Michael.  I am guessing he could really teach me how to use my extruder in mind blowing ways.

#10 JustaWhittle

JustaWhittle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have LOVED Meira Mathison's work for some time and would adore the opportunity to see her work!  If I lived on the other side of the country I would have definitely tried to get in on one of her workshops by now!

#11 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Shadow May.

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#12 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

I love Susan Nemeth's work, color crazed person that I am! I was going to take a workshop with her in Italy in 2014, but they changed the week, and I can't go now. :(

http://pinterest.com...annemeth.co.uk/
Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery
www.northernwoodsstudio.blogspot.com

#13 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Shadow May.

Jim, ha Shadow May should be begging to meet you!! T

#14 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

Thanks, T, but Shadow May is crazy good! I just bought one of his mugs that blew my mind and was going to buy a bowl but my wife found out I was trying to sell the car to pay for it and said it was either her or the bowl. Now, I'm racked with indecision.

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#15 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

I have a second person, Jane Jermyn, an Irish potter whose work I admire.

Marcia

#16 Red Rocks

Red Rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSedona, AZ

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

I am with Mark - I would choose to work at Hamada's back in the day.  The other potter would without a doubt be Marguerite Wildenhain and a week at Pond Farm.

#17 AnnieM

AnnieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

My pottery teacher was trained by Marguerite Wildenhain at Pond Farm. He speaks so highly of her. Her inspiration and guidance has lasted him a lifetime. So I think I'd spend time with her first.
AnnieM

#18 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

actually, if you did nothing more than silently  walk around the studio of an experienced potter with your EYES and your BRAIN open, you would learn more than asking 500 questions here.  that is why anyone new should take advantage of any "open studio" visits in your area.

It's true! Early fall I went to 2 studios in 1 day. I could feel the soul being poured into one potters' works, and the other potter seemed to allow anything standing upright, just to pump out as much as possible.  I learned that day what type of potter I wanted to become.  

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#19 Davidpotter

Davidpotter

Determined Young Buck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Wisconsin

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:13 AM

Ric Lamore is a local potter and has done demonstrations at my school twice now. Luckily my ceramics classes will be doing a pit firing with him and i will be helping him with his spring wood firing. i bet by the time i'm done pestering him with questions he wont even let me near his studio.

https://www.facebook...c.lamore/photos

my other chose would be Mark Skudlarek who is also a local potter and i was able to visit him once and get a tour.

https://www.facebook...2185272&sk=info

i will be going on Cambridge's Clay Collective studio tours may 3-4 this year to absorb information too!

https://www.facebook...182723255164401

Practice, practice, practice. Then when you think you've practiced enough, the real practice begins.

#20 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

I have to add my 2 cents worth.  I have been an admirer of Sandra Blain's work for some time now... and hope to get into one of her workshops soon. Sandra's use of stamped impressions, stains, and airbrushed accents is simply amazing to me. Here are images of her work.

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users