Photo

How Do I Thicken A Glaze For Glazetrailing?

Not sliptrailing...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Marge

Marge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Has anyone out there thickened a glaze for glazetrailing? I'm making my own cone 6 glazes and want to glazetrail designs.  I've tried sliptrailing and I'm not a fan (I gave it a good try though!!)  Can I just add a thickening agent (perhaps Veegum)? I know I can use a store bought one like Stroke & Coat, but I prefer to make my own, then its easy to make more :D Thanks!!

#2 oldlady

oldlady

firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

try to find Angelica Pozo's book on tilemaking.  she describes a method of doing just what you want to do and provides a recipe. is the term something like "cuerda seca" familiar?  that is the process of making separate areas of color surrounded by black barriers.  think of stained glass.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

if you add flocculants , the liquid will act like it is thickened. Try a couple of drops of vinegar to a small amount and see what happens.

Marcia

#4 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Epsom salts.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#5 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

try to find Angelica Pozo's book on tilemaking.  she describes a method of doing just what you want to do and provides a recipe. is the term something like "cuerda seca" familiar?  that is the process of making separate areas of color surrounded by black barriers.  think of stained glass.

cuerda seca , "dry line" is a wax y balm of a tree mixed with manganese to replel majolica glaze from flowing into other areas.
The would not necessarily thicken a glaze.
arcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users