Sign in to follow this  
Juli Long

Glaze Is Grainy, Rough At Lip Of Mugs

Claypple    29

You know, I've never used a chamois to smooth the rim.  I have always used a flexible elephant ear sponge, or even just a standard cellulose sponge.

I may have to start with the chamois.

Make your life easier and just use a rubber glove. Any thin rubber glove. Do not put it on, just wet it with the water, hold it with 2 hands and use like you would use the chamois on the rib of your vessel. It is cheaper and leaves a much smoother surface than anything else.

PotterGrl    3

I realize I'm very late on this, but a piece of plastic works well too. Not too flimsy, something along the lines of dry cleaners plastic. I have issues with the grog as well.  Some are really great at burnishing their rims and feet, but mine need work ;o)

ok so I went out and got a dremel tool to realize that the diamond tip I got didn't fit.  SO I was packing it up to get the right part, when my 13 yr old daughter picked it up and it separated. It sort of snapped parts off. Now I see the lid doesn't fit that well but this is my first sculptural pot so I am not going to worry myself with that. I need to grind off and re glaze. The piece that is stuck on the bottom does not allow the lid to sit down all the way. What kind of grinder would you recommend now? same tool? 

post-19612-0-71684700-1381788443_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-02687800-1381788462_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-71684700-1381788443_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-02687800-1381788462_thumb.jpg

also since i have never re fired anything, I have parts that could use thicker glaze and some pinholing... is there a way to fix that in the second firing while I am at it? Should I do a full cone 6 again?

oldlady    1,323

try one cone lower.  having refired unsuccessfully at the same temp as the original firing a few times i finally tried retouching thin glazes and refiring one cone lower than the original firing and every piece came out fine. the refire was necessary because i added a little more copper carb to a new batch of glaze and while spraying it looked darker than it really was.  i thought it was thick enough but it was not evenly sprayed.

this firing had glazed greenware, re-glazed cone six fired once ware, and some bisque left over from months ago.